Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Not as crisp as the two other 400+ degree ones. I'm starting to think 450 or even 475 for really crispy skin. Of course, that was a "Nature's Promise" chicken, where I usually get Purdue birds. This one was almost spot on 400 the whole cook. I'll put the Meater graph of the cook up.

Edit: This one was a ChuckO dry rub, and the pliers are what I use to undo the fork screws, helps keep from burning my fingers!

I've never done two-up but I'm thinking about doing a bird for us and 1 for our daughter. I know most people double up the forks in the middle or jam the birds together but I have a well-used set of cheaply made 4-prong forks that came with the OG Weber roti ring that are gonna get reversed for center duty.
You could try using the two prong ones on the end with the turbo trusser and the four prong on the other end of each one. I only have one set for my 3/8 rod so thanks for the idea of filing the 5/16 ones to make them fit.

Don’t forget to let us know how it works!
It might not be for a while...Turkey Day is coming up!

A neighbor's friend's house caught fire and they had to empty their freezer. We ended up with frozen 17lb. turkey and I wanted to try dry brining it but I see that it's injected with 9.5% of whatever. Has anybody had any experience with dry brining an injected turkey? Either way, it's going to end up on the spit.

It might not be for a while...Turkey Day is coming up!

A neighbor's friend's house caught fire and they had to empty their freezer. We ended up with frozen 17lb. turkey and I wanted to try dry brining it but I see that it's injected with 9.5% of whatever. Has anybody had any experience with dry brining an injected turkey? Either way, it's going to end up on the spit.
Your turkey is basically pre-brined. Dry brining it before cooking is likely to produce a very salty tasting bird.

I think I'd try a salt free rub inside and out and let it air dry back down breast up in the fridge for 24 hours.

And I just invented a new word.

Smorokey.

Thanks, @Bruce and @DanHoo ... Glad I asked! I looked at WinCo yesterday and both of the birds they sell are pre-brined, too. I'll keep looking but we gotta eat this bird sooner or later.

I think I'd try a salt free rub inside and out and let it air dry back down breast up in the fridge for 24 hours.
I've got a couple of those older Weber roast racks that I use to avoid the "soggy bottom".

s-l1600.jpg

I think we're going to try the Hey Grill, Hey turkey rub this year. We really liked her chicken rub (without the salt, on a dry brined bird).

I've got a couple of those older Weber roast racks that I use to avoid the "soggy bottom".
That looks like a pretty good brining rack, as well as a roasting rack. But since you now have the coolest double bird rotisserie fork in the world, you only need that for brining now!

Seriously, that custom fork is so cool! Plus, you got the garage smelling delicious while you did it! Well done, sir.

TH, I don't trust the ambient sensor in my MEATER...here's a graph of my last cook (keep in mind that I didn't open the lid the entire time, only when the MEATER said it was done).

image_1637105776205.jpg
Other cooks show a similar pattern. The ambient sensor and my Smoke ambient disagree by as much as 40F. Of course, my MEATER may be damaged, but may I suggest that you check your MEATER ambient against another ambient before you rely on what the MEATER is telling you?

Last edited:

Back