Rotisserie Crispy Skin

Mine is that dry brining pulls water out and leaves fat behind by osmosis. The water goes toward the salt. It’s why your fingers prune in fresh water: there is salt in your blood. Also why they don’t in the ocean there is salt in that water. Maybe the chickens that leave water in the dry brine bowl were extra hydrated ..
I have a small wire rack that fits a quarter sheet pan that I bought for indirect cooking on the Q120 that works well for dry brining and dry rubbing one chicken.

Yeah, 2 birds is a lot of chicken to eat for 2 people...we are still working on the bird I spun on Sunday ...
I cooked 2 because we had a friend over that I was helping install a propane system in his camper van conversion. We use leftovers in salads, snacks, chicken salad, soups, etc. I may have to wait a few weeks for my next try though.

Might as well add that after I clean and rinse the chicken I find that if I stand it up in the sink with one of these for about 20 minutes I don't have to dry it (although I do use a paper towel in the cavity).

Might as well add that after I clean and rinse the chicken I find that if I stand it up in the sink with one of these for about 20 minutes I don't have to dry it (although I do use a paper towel in the cavity).

I have a One-Touch Platinum kettle (looks like a Performer) that I bought new from Amazon in 2002. It sat out under a lattice patio, uncovered, for almost 20 years, and still looked like new. I bought a cover for it last year because I bought covers for the other grills and when I uncovered it after 3 or 4 months the lid was all scuffed up. I bought that chicken stand as a trial to hold the covers away from the lid of the gassers but decided on a different stand so never used it.

Last edited:
I have a friend that just used to rant and rave about it, I don’t get the hub bub about it, one more thing to waste beer with! I’d prefer your method of consumption, Bruce!
I've never done it that way but I always thought you drank the beer first and then refilled the can with water...I'd be worried an unopened can would explode from the heat. Rotisserie or spatchcock are the best ways to prepare a whole chicken IMO.

Having cooked a lot of beer can chicken, roti is better. The main benefit of beer can is if you don't have a rotisserie. Beer in a can is easy to find

Beer can style is good, but I don't use beer any more, I use a stainless vertical roaster and put juice and onions in the center.

When I did beer can style using a beer can I would drink half and put sliced onion in the beer can before sitting the chicken on it.

TH, I'm a big fan of the 2-prong forks but I only have one set. Will a 4-prong clear the truss?

Ed, a cutoff wheel or a hacksaw can make you another two prong set.
Never thought of that, good idea! The other thing is that I am trying to standardize on a 3/8" square spit rod so I'd have to do a little filing like I did on the 2-prong...

You got me thinking, though...I wonder if I could bend two of the prongs 180deg without causing the plating to flake off (not plated!) for 2 birds...might be worth a try if I'm going to cut them off anyway!

Last edited:
65E446D3-24F6-4EA0-A0B6-6E3F70D3B1EE.pngOr if you need to cook 2 at a time just use mixed fork sets. I’m not sure whether 4 prong would clear it.

Here is a Meater feature for those unfamiliar:

Or if you need to cook 2 at a time just use mixed fork sets. I’m not sure whether 4 prong would clear it.
I've never done two-up but I'm thinking about doing a bird for us and 1 for our daughter. I know most people double up the forks in the middle or jam the birds together but I have a well-used set of cheaply made 4-prong forks that came with the OG Weber roti ring a Farberware indoor grill that are gonna get reversed for center duty.

Last edited:

Back