Rotisserie Cornish Hens

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Started yesterday morning with a new brine for me, one which I will definitely repeat. 3/4 cup Kosher - 1.5 tbsp Morten Tender Quick - 3/4 cup sugar -
outer rind of lemon peeled off - Juniper Berries, sat all day yesterday and last night in it

DSC_1557_zps63cc1e36.jpg

Wasn't sure if this would work and how it would cook but after being dried of the brine and sitting in the fridge since 8am got all four of the Hens on the shaft. They were stuffed with a bunch of Italian Parsley and 1/4 slice of Orange, trussed and seasoned with Mrs. Dash no salt lemon Pepper and Herbs De Provence.

DSC_1559_zps14bb51c0.jpg

Peeled and diced up one large Rutabaga. Microwaved them until starting to get tender then into a CI with Kosher - Fresh Sage - White Pepper - garlic powder

DSC_1557_zps92405743.jpg

DSC_1561_zps02884496.jpg

If you Guy's have not tried this yet you are really missing something nice

DSC_1565_zps23f96d01.jpg

nectar of the gods

DSC_1562_zps8851e330.jpg

170ish in the breast and gorgeous

DSC_1568_zps6c670a55.jpg

Juiciest Chicken I have ever had

DSC_1571_zpsb85bb660.jpg

The plate with the Rutabaga Corn Cole Slaw, your plate enjoy

DSC_1572_zpsd3777a50.jpg

Awesome looking hens Bill! Did the tender quick give them a "hammy" taste?
I have seen several recipes that call for adding tender quick but I haven't tried them. I just
you the tender quick for a cure.

Great roti cook Bill, nicely done! I'm curious about the cure as well. I think I would like to try that. I might get a whole heard of hens on the 26 :)

Freaking awesome Bill from the chicken to the beer to the rutabagas. I have some I'm gonna peel and cook this weekend.
Nice report!!

Freaking awesome Bill from the chicken to the beer to the rutabagas. I have some I'm gonna peel and cook this weekend.
Nice report!!

Never have tried rutabagas, but when I do an old episode of Green Acres comes to mind reminding me to eat Hooterville Rutabagas ... Lol! :D

I remember that show Pat, makes you wonder where time went.
Two things guys asked about, first there was no ill effect from the Tender quick, I am not sure of why some recommend using it for a brine but thought I would try it. The Chicken was the juiciest chicken I have ever eaten, the family loved it. Also about the brine I have seen some guys using lemon or lime juice in their brine but that is a lot of acid, I figured why not just use the zest from peeling the outer layer of the lemon. It worked superbly with a definite lemon scent and taste to the bird. The flavor from the juniper berries was in there nicely too.
The Rutabaga is really delicious and you can use many different seasonings to give you varied flavor profiles. I did it last month and I used bits of my home made bacon in it and it was superb. Just remember it is a tough hard vegetable, microwave it until tender before cooking in the CI.
Hooterville here I come, hope Eva is still there

Gorgeous! We just had some the other night, love Cornish Game Hens!! Yours look fantastic. Mmmm, getting hungry and it's not even close to lunchtime :)

Cornish hens are my favorite type of yard bird. A great looking cook there Bill. Birds look delicious!!!

inka binka bottle of inka

DSC_1571_zpsb85bb660.jpg

man alive.... they all looks sooo good!
I'm going to the store right now to get me some Cornish hens and some Pixley rutabagas!!!
Great Grillin' Bill!
and
Great show Pat!!

Last edited:
Very nice tasty looking birds Bill! Its just the rutabaga that still scares me from childhood.

Back