Rotisserie Cooks

Darrell O

TVWBB Fan
I'm falling in love again with my rotisserie again--it took a while until I could control the temperature. I cooked one turkey for Thanksgiving on the rotisserie and I just did another duck tonight. I cannot have enough duck on the grill. It is truly a gift from Heaven. Plus you get to enjoy potatoes cooked in the dripping duck fat. Thank you Mike Vrobel for bringing me back to the roto.

Turkey+2013.jpg

turkey-2.jpg

P1050701.JPG

P1050705.JPG

P1050706.JPG

This is a great pic, Darrell....is that Pops in the background? And what's in the jars?

That's my friend Curtis and the jars are filled with make ahead gravy. I can never seem to collect drippings on the grill for gravy. However, I am getting good at cooking potatoes in duck drippings under the rotisserie.

Love the roto myself! Just was looking at a duck in the store yesterday. Pricey little bugers. Got 2 chickens instead. Great lookin duck though!

Brian, I see you have mentioned temperature issues, have you tried your rotisserie with coals on one side only? I do this all the time. There are other things I do as well but temp. control for me is never an issue.
http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?47176-Rotisserie-Chicken-with-Cherry&highlight=rotisserie

Gary,

The temperature control issue was more out of forgetfulness. I grill and smoke several times a week, but only breakout the rotisserie every couple of months. I used to forget that the Weber rotisserie ring creates more air leaks and that I need to choke down the bottom damper more than usual when I want to cook at 350-400. I used to get a 400-500 degree fire and torch the skin a little more than I wanted. I've learned patience and better damper control and now everything works out fine.

Thank you for the link to your thread.

Regards,
Oak

Awesome cook Darrell. I too love the rotisserie - some of the best things I have ever made were done that way. After reading your post I can't wait to spin up a duck! What kind of duck do you use - the ones sold at the store? Game birds? Please provide some more info on your bird selection and technique...

Regards,

John

Hey Darrell, looks great. curious why you don't get the drippings? Smokey gravy is super nice!

Chris-I agree smoky drippings are tasty, but I find the amount of drippings and quality is often inconsistent. The two birds I cooked on Thanksgiving had very little drippings so I was glad I planned ahead and made make ahead gravy for a crowd.

Awesome cook Darrell. I too love the rotisserie - some of the best things I have ever made were done that way. After reading your post I can't wait to spin up a duck! What kind of duck do you use - the ones sold at the store? Game birds? Please provide some more info on your bird selection and technique...

Regards,

John

John-I buy fresh ducks from BJs. Lately I've been following Mike Vrobel's recipe for Duck with Maple Syrup Glaze. Score the breast skin in a diamond pattern so the fat can come out. Salt (4tsp kosher) and pepper (1tsp) the duck and let sit in the fridge overnight to dry brine. Set up the rotisserie for a about 375 and place a large drip pan in the middle. The duck fat in the drip pan is a great place to cook partially cooked (microwave 1/2" cut potatoes for 5 minutes) red potatoes for 45 minutes. In the last 15 minutes of the cook, brush the duck with a mix of 1/2 cup maple syrup and juice of 1 lemon. Cook the duck until it's 180 in the breast. I cook over maple charcoal, which gives poultry great flavor.

I highly recommend Mike Vrobel's book on Rotisserie Grilling. There's a lot of good info on techniques and recipes and it's only $5. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007ZHV956/tvwb-20

Regards,
Darrell

Back