Rolled Ribs?

Paul Balzotti

TVWBB Fan
Hi Everybody,
I am new to the WSM. I used my new grill for the first time last weekend and made chicken. With the holiday this weekend I am making baby back ribs. I have bought 6 racks. I was reading the capacity specs on the site and am wondering what they mean by rolled rib racks. Any help would be great. I am also planning on doing some sausage and Chicken breast. My friend is coming over with his smoker and doing a turkey. Going to be some party on Sunday.

Back in the late sixties - early seventies, I was a grad student in Kitchener-Waterloo in Ontario, Canada. There used to be a German pub - huge place with four separate dining rooms depending on how classy you felt. They made a dish called rolled ribs that we students would go and eat all the time. A rack of ribs was laid flat and bread type doughy seasoned stuff was pressed on top of it. It was then rolled and baked. I know, Q sacrilege, but to die for. And, for $2.99 you got a rolled rack, dish of cole slaw, and a slice of buttered white bread. The place was called the Breslau Inn, and I'll never forget it.

Happy Q'ing.

I do back ribs all the time...just put 6 racks on yesterday and got rave reviews from the neighbors that were here for the afternoon. I always roll 'em and hold them together with a skewer, and the 6 racks fit perfect.

Well I made my ribs. Everybody was happy and contect. They came out fantastic. Took a really long time. I just couldn't seem to get the heat right. I finally got it at 225 and let it cook. Came out fantastic. My frend made a turkey also and that came out very good.

Congratulations. Six rack of BBs cost half as much as the WSM. No wonder you were a bit nervous.

How long did they end up taking? Did you foil them?

They seemed to take forever!!!!! I put them on around 10am and they finished probably around 7pm. The major problem was I think was that I am oncall this weekend and this week and my pager went off just about when my charcoal chimney was about ready, and they went to almost full ash. So I spent to much time on the phone trying to help a doctor log on to the system. So I could not seem to be able to get the heat up high enough. This was the second time using my WSM so there is still a learning curve for me. So what I ended up doing around 5pm was cook up some new coals took the top off put the coals in the new wood chunks and then opened all the vents on the bottom. Wouldn't you know it I got it up to 220 F. Yee Haaa!!! I did not use tin foil at all. But I do have to say I purchased my baby's at BJ's Wholesale Club and they were selling three racks for $28.00. pretty could deal considering you go to a BBQ place and you pay close to 20 for one rack. BJ's cuts their ribs well I did not have to do any trimming just rubbed them and then put them on the grill. And they were a big hit once they came off the grill. Was basically round 2 since we all munched on Mesiquite chicken fist since that was done. Can't wait to try some other things now.

Back