Roadside rotisserie chicken

We did two locally raised 6+ lb whole chickens earlier this summer on the kettle rotisserie, and they were great.
sorry, no pictures……
Currently, I am authorized to only do chickens on the spit. Including a basket of chicken thighs going right now.
so yes, I would say the rotisserie seems to be the best method.

Tim,
I love this recipe and love rotisserie whole chicken. I have never combined them, but after your post, I am asking my self why not?!?! I think you should go for it! Towards the end of the cook, I would more the Weber charcoal baskets from the sides to directly under the chicken and left it flare up just a little to get the char fire kissed finish. I love this idea.
On a side note, my favorite way, at least until I try it this way, to do this recipe is skin on bone in pieces on the WSM 14 on the top rack with no water pan and getting it as hot as I can. This let's the marinate and the mop hit the fire and there be flare ups without the chicken being so close that it burns.
Good luck let's us know what you do.

I think I’ll try it same method as my al pastor cool - charcoal baskets on either side to prevent flare up. How long do you think I should keep the birds in the marinade? I was thinking a day should be ok - may just omit the oil all together!

I did a roti chicken Peruvian style last night on the kettle. As long as you keep the grill at 375-400 you will get crispy skin and juicy meat. Almost fool proof. I ran into trouble last night as my coals burnt faster than expected I think do to using too many recycled coals and not enough new ones. 2 full weber baskets on the sides and drip tray in the middle under the bird works really well and easy cleanup.

I think I’ll try it same method as my al pastor cool - charcoal baskets on either side to prevent flare up. How long do you think I should keep the birds in the marinade? I was thinking a day should be ok - may just omit the oil all together!
A day is prefect. That is what I like to do.

I agree, the recipe sounds a perfect candidate for spinning!
Joe, I think you might be right about the ratio of fresh to “second fire” coals, I tend to go mostly new on chicken spins.

So I didn’t end up using the rotisserie attachment for the kettle but rather used my WSM a bit like a drum smoker (no water pan, door open, lid on). Put four split, bone in breasts and 12 thighs…Hot and fast and cooked under an hour. The results? My good God why haven’t I used the roadside chicken marinade before? Best chicken I’ve ever had. C0EFF0A5-3FE9-4577-ADD8-BDC3C4442191.jpegC4BCB44B-7370-4994-825C-F10005EB2130.jpeg

I have used the kettle, WSM, and Genesis for chicken, whole or parts and never thought that a rotissery was really needed.

I did a roti chicken Peruvian style last night on the kettle. As long as you keep the grill at 375-400 you will get crispy skin and juicy meat. Almost fool proof. I ran into trouble last night as my coals burnt faster than expected I think do to using too many recycled coals and not enough new ones. 2 full weber baskets on the sides and drip tray in the middle under the bird works really well and easy cleanup.
Amen to that set up. I too have made a similar mistake when grilling with mixed coals getting hotter and cooler spots. Now I just keep my used stuff separate and use for quick cooks only.

Costa Rican CHICKEN DONE MY-WAY ON A CAJUN BANDIT ROTISSERIE KIT:D

Attachments

• rteJ8DLSQf6QezBf0mWvWw.jpg
    rteJ8DLSQf6QezBf0mWvWw.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 15
  • RB%xIIFlSQKpUP9cfBRZSQ.jpg
    RB%xIIFlSQKpUP9cfBRZSQ.jpg
    213 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Back