Roadside Chicken

Cooked this again last weekend with 20 pounds of breast and thighs that were de-deboned (skin on). Used some toothpicks on the thighs to pull them together and hold skin in place.

Marinated in the standard recipe without oil and with juice and rind of 1 lemon and 1 lime per recipe. I tripled to have enough for the marinade step.

Then made another double with the oil and the 2 ea lemon/lime juice and rind. Along with 2 Tbs of dijon and two sticks of butter to emulsify. adds.

This time I cooked it all on the WSM without the water pan and letting everything drip into the coals (lump). Thighs were cooked on the top grate position skin came out crispy. Used the lid to control the flair up. Constantly basting as required.

Loaded somemore lit lump then did the breasts on the lower grate.

Came out perfect. These were cut into smaller pieces to serve at a party as a second entre.

Rave reviews, crispy skin and all was moist. Nice citrus flavor. Cook time was cut down significantly due to being boneless.

Wesley - the original recipe/method did not include a marinating step. I'm leaving the oil out only for the recipe that will be used for the marinating step. Otherwise for the baste/mop leaving the oil in the recipe. I believe that is what others are doing, not sure.

Originally posted by Bryan S:

Mix/shake till well dissolved. I put mine in a old worcestershire bottle with the shaker top. You can marrinate the chicken in the sauce for up to 2-8 hrs before cooking. If so discard marinade and make fresh for the cooking sauce.

Are you going off of the original recipe, the on listed in the first post of this thread? As you can see above, it indeed calls for marinating.

I've done many cooks with this recipe, I've always marinated. Still get rave reviews on each meal.

Originally posted by r benash:
Wesley - the original recipe/method did not include a marinating step. I'm leaving the oil out only for the recipe that will be used for the marinating step. Otherwise for the baste/mop leaving the oil in the recipe. I believe that is what others are doing, not sure.

Thanks Ray,

I just checked out the original post and saw the EDIT. I never thought to check the OP.

Originally posted by Wesley S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:

Thanks Ray,

I just checked out the original post and saw the EDIT. I never thought to check the OP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops, me bad. I just saw the edit also.

But, I've been marinating with the oil added. I guess I've found it the normal way to go. Works for me, not sure if I'll be changing the routine anytime soon.

Originally posted by jbaker:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wesley S:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:

Thanks Ray,

I just checked out the original post and saw the EDIT. I never thought to check the OP. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoops, me bad. I just saw the edit also.

But, I've been marinating with the oil added. I guess I've found it the normal way to go. Works for me, not sure if I'll be changing the routine anytime soon. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes, I did edit out the oil for the marinating step, it's just not needed. You can put it in no worries. IMO the oil might/can hinder the marinating step somewhat. No, I have no proof, it's just my opinion.
icon_rolleyes.gif
The oil or butter if you want, for the basting process, is to help build layers of flavor. HTH
icon_smile.gif

I just made this for the 4th or 5th time and it has become the "go to" chicken recipe. Simply awesome.

Even over heard the father-in law say it was the best chicken he's had and he NEVER will give me a compliment so that must be saying something....

Originally posted by Chris Derum:

Even over heard the father-in law say it was the best chicken he's had and he NEVER will give me a compliment so that must be saying something....
Hey Bud,
icon_cool.gif
and Thanks
icon_wink.gif

I finally got around to doing this recipe tonight on my cheapie Char-Broil gasser. My wife was a bit suspicious about using vinegar to marinate, but she's also not often open to trying new things. She knows I'm damn good behind a grill or smoker, so I told her to trust me.
icon_smile.gif

I used one whole cut-up fryer, marinated for about 4 hours. I cooked indirect for about 30 minutes to get the internal temps warmed up, then cranked the burners on high to crisp the skin. I used the Worcestershire bottle basting method like Bryan suggests and it worked really well. Lots of good flare-ups without getting totally out of control.

The results were excellent. I didn't even think of snapping photos, but it was seriously good. My wife wants me to add it to the weekly repertoire, which I think I'll do. We're about to get serious about eating healthier, so I think I might use this recipe with boneless, skinless breasts next go-round. Thanks again, Bryan.

I tried this with chicken breasts. Marinated a few hrs, then direct low over 1 layer of coals. Brushed on marinade for first 3/4 of cook.

Turned out very yummy and juicy. Wife liked it.

Two words. Roadside chicken pizza.

Um.. three words. Anyways, I tore apart the chicken, brushed a bit of sauce on then used it to top a pizza (along with sliced black olives and sweet/sour cocktail onions).

Yum. Amazing how much of the roadside chicken taste came through.

Thanks Bryan.

Cooked on a gasser(c).

Breasts were left on about 5 min to long. everything else was perfect. this recipe is a BIG KEEPER!

I finally got a chance to grill up some Roadside tonight. FANTASTIC!!! My wife and I polished a good part of the bird and my little girl had her first chicken on the bone (non-Chick-Fil-A). Everyone loved it.
I'm having my first big gathering of the year on Smoke Day IV. I plan on a sampler platter of pulled pork, small portion of ribs, and now - roadside chicken. Out of curiosity, how quick would this cook up with buffalo wings?

Back