Roadside Chicken

Originally posted by Mike Resler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Parrish:
Adam, go to page one of thread.

I believe Adam is asking Bryan about his Road Side chicken salad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Yes he was and sent me an email about the portions. I just eyeball everything but gave him aprox quan to start out with. I rarely measure anything unless I'm baking and that's why I don't bake much.
icon_biggrin.gif

Bryan, just wanted to thank you for turning me on to the ABSOLUTE best chicken marinade/basting recipe I've ever had. My family came over today for a picnic , I figured to do something simple wings dogs & burgers. My brothers had told me about your recipe so I figured I'd give it a try for the wings, I marinated them over night. I took the water pan out of the wsm put the wings on the bottom rack and cranked the guru to 350 degrees and off I went. It took an hour for the wings to be done, but i think most of that was me wanting to make sure the skin was crispy! I put the burgers and dogs on the top rack. The only small hassle was taking the top rack off to baste the chicken, but after tasting the results I would gladly do it again with one arm in a sling! It was absolutely fantastic. The best part not one wing was left, I made 5lbs of them. Also I used a couple of pieces of apple wood for a bit of smoked flavor. Thank you again for sharing your recipe it's great!

Originally posted by Mike Resler:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike Parrish:
Adam, go to page one of thread.

I believe Adam is asking Bryan about his Road Side chicken salad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Mike...yes, that is what I was requesting. And thank you Bryan for the approximations.

I had intended to use some of the RS chicken that I grilled for today's 4th celebration for the chicken salad; however, everyone liked it so much that I only have maybe 1 thigh and 1 breast left! (and I intend to eat those for lunch tomorrow) Oh well... maybe next time.

Thanks again for the recipe!

Thanks for the recipe. I made this on the 4th along with BRITU and everyone raved about it. The first time I did not marinade the chicken and it was good. This time I did and it was incredible! I did Thighs and the skin was great too.

Just did this recipe again for a couples' wedding shower yesterday. Three cut-up fryers. All gone.

I think I mastered the cook on the OTG with this recipe. I got my charcoal pretty dang hot and cooked direct for few minutes to char the skin, then let it rest awhile indirect to cook throughout. Basted it every 10 mins or so, and took roughly 45 mins total.

Seeing as how many people believe that grilled chicken is too bland without barbecue sauce, my wife made sure to instruct the crowd not to put BBQ sauce on it if they could help it. Thankfully, no one did. And it was a huge hit.
icon_smile.gif

I've been lurking on this thread for awhile and I'm going to give this recipe a try tonight on the WSM. I've had 3 bone-in breasts and 5 quarters marinating overnight. After reading some of the posts I believe I'm going to take them out of the marinade now in fear of them getting too salty. I'm going to cook some boneless breasts too and I'll try to post some pics.

Has anyone tried this marinade with pork tenderloin. I notice the wife has 2 sitting in the fridge which is usually a sign that she wants them grilled for dinner next week.

JB

Originally posted by JB:
Has anyone tried this marinade with pork tenderloin. I notice the wife has 2 sitting in the fridge which is usually a sign that she wants them grilled for dinner next week.

JB
JB, The RSC marinade works great on pork. You can use it on tenderloins, loins and ribs, no worries. You can also injectect into butts and shoulders if you want.
icon_wink.gif

Thanks Bryan. I've learned that we're having guests over so this recipe will get a good workout tonight.

I tasted a bit of the basting batch and it's fantastic. I added a bit of lime juice and some zest as one of the other posters suggested but I think it would have been just fine w/o.

JB

The results are in and everyone loved the chicken. I made extra so we're lucky enough to have some for sandwiches this week. I marinaded the bone-in pieces overnight and took them out in fear of them being too salty. They had plenty of flavor but not salty at all. I added lime & zest to the marinades & bastes and probably will back off on that a touch next time. A whole lime for 1 batch seemed a bit much. I had to finish everything on the gasser because the kids were hungry and I wasn't sure how much longer it would take on the WSM. Total cook time was about 90 minutes. All in all a great recipe and very easy to throw together. Definitely a keeper.

Roadside Chicken 7.11.09

Originally posted by JB:
I added lime & zest to the marinades & bastes and probably will back off on that a touch next time. A whole lime for 1 batch seemed a bit much.
Just leave it out, it's not needed.
Glad to hear it came out fine for you. Nice pics, but one thing I noticed is that the grate is really crowded. Not alot of space for good air flow between the pieces. Give the chicken more room the next time.
icon_wink.gif

Definitely crowded. We had some guests come over so 4 boneless breasts were added to the cook.

I have done the RSC a few times now, a hit everytime!
The latest was 20 thighs and about 24 full wings, gone faster then I could plate them.

A great recipe, indeed!

Originally posted by Craig Rearich:
Bryan, when you se this for ribs, do you sauce them also?
Craig, yes. Marinate ribs for about 8 hrs, then baste every hr till ribs are finished.

Thanks Bryan, I will hopefully get to do some ribs within the next couple of weeks. I'm anxious to try this, it was great with the chicken! Thank You!

made it again for my boys. seems its the only chicken they will eat. I really love using sesame oil instead as it gives it a nice kick.

thanks again Bryan for da bomb chix recipe

I know it's a little like throwing a match on a fire at this point... but WOW!!! Thank you!

I whipped up the marinade and tossed in a dozen legs around noon. Threw them on around 5pm and the flavor was excellent. I'm sure longer would have been even better.

I set up my WSM in high heat formation (no pan) and I cooked on the lower grate. Started with 3/4 chimney over a bed of lump. I gave the coals a good 5-10 min before I assembled and was quickly up over 300F and when i left the lid ajar it was fast over 400F.

This is a great recipe for dinners as I can get the chicken in the marinade in the morning and have dinner on the table in under 2hrs. Probably the best part was having the top grate to throw on a couple dozen ABT's!! haha

Thanks for another winner.

Hi all-

Would it be ok to throw a dry rub on some breasts overnight, then baste them with the marinade while they cook?

or

would i be better off without any rub, marinade with no oil in the fridge for a few hours then marinade (with oil) while they cook?

thanks

dave

First off...welcome to the board.

I've made this recipe numerous times and it's FANTASTIC! never any chicken left over.

I would suggest the first time you try this recipe that you do it exactly as described. Then on your next cook try it with your dry rub and baste with the marinade. Decide which one you like better and have fun.
icon_biggrin.gif

Back