Roadside Chicken Pieces for the New Year

JimK

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Been a while since I've done this one, but it never disappoints. Thighs, wings and BSB's to satisfy all tastes at the table. Spring green salad w/ a homemade lemon vinaigrette and butter roasted potatoes with thyme and rosemary (and a little parmesan at the end). Too dark for grill cooks, but daylight is on the rise. Cooked on the Performer over K Pro.

1672626433839.jpeg

tempImage49TjnY.jpg

God I love me some RSC! And yours tonight looks perfect. I made simular potatoes last night and my kids figured out it has been since May that I made them and have already reminded today that it will not be that long again until I make oven roasted potatoes again.

That's pretty much it. Larry (narrator in the video) and Bryan (who Larry mentions early on) used to be regulars here.

Here's the original thread: https://tvwbb.com/threads/roadside-chicken.33874/

So I planned to make RSC the other day on the kettle. Then the rain came. So I tried making it in the kitchen broiler:

20230106_123827.jpg

I was very strict about the repeated bastings every 5 minutes. The chicken came out fine but there was nothing outstanding in the taste. I need to try this again on the kettle and see what I'm missing.

I also decided to try making Peruvian Aji Verde sauce to go with it. The sauce tasted nice and I can think of a 1000 uses for it. However, it came out very liquidly after I fine-blended it. I need to figure out how to avoid that the next time I make it.

20230106_113058.jpg

So I planned to make RSC the other day on the kettle. Then the rain came. So I tried making it in the kitchen broiler:

View attachment 64896

I was very strict about the repeated bastings every 5 minutes. The chicken came out fine but there was nothing outstanding in the taste. I need to try this again on the kettle and see what I'm missing.

I also decided to try making Peruvian Aji Verde sauce to go with it. The sauce tasted nice and I can think of a 1000 uses for it. However, it came out very liquidly after I fine-blended it. I need to figure out how to avoid that the next time I make it.

View attachment 64897

Looks great. I will say that the RSC is MUCH better when marinated for at least 4 hours. Not sure if you did that, but the marinating really seems to amp up the flavor, then the basting is just icing on the cake (almost literally).

My plan is to give it another try. Also, I'll marinate for a few hours, which I didn't do. Also, yes, Peruvian chicken is in the cook trial schedules. Thanks.
With RSC marinating is key! I always go with the over night marinade. RSC also needs that direct fire underneath it so when you basted it, smoke rolls and adds so much flavor. I like to use the WSM 14 for this "pit barrel style" no water bowl, get it hot and bast and turn and repeat then move the grate down right over top the fire to get the final char at the end.

I am glad you have Peruvian Chicken on the to do list also. This is not to take anything away from Jim's amazing RSC in this post, nor do I want to highjack this thread with this comment, but my only issue with RSC is that I think Peruvian Chicken is much more flavorful. Many times when I think about doing RSC, I end up doing Peruvian Chicken.

However, with the price of meat right now, I want to get both of these meals more into my rotation as the go great with legs and leg thigh quarters, some of the cheap pieces of meat I can find.

With RSC marinating is key! I always go with the over night marinade. RSC also needs that direct fire underneath it so when you basted it, smoke rolls and adds so much flavor. I like to use the WSM 14 for this "pit barrel style" no water bowl, get it hot and bast and turn and repeat then move the grate down right over top the fire to get the final char at the end.

I am glad you have Peruvian Chicken on the to do list also. This is not to take anything away from Jim's amazing RSC in this post, nor do I want to highjack this thread with this comment, but my only issue with RSC is that I think Peruvian Chicken is much more flavorful. Many times when I think about doing RSC, I end up doing Peruvian Chicken.

However, with the price of meat right now, I want to get both of these meals more into my rotation as the go great with legs and leg thigh quarters, some of the cheap pieces of meat I can find.
Couldn’t agree more.
The WSM without the water pan and high heat is the best cooker for RSC!

On a cold raining Sunday after a 18 hour marinade for some thighs and legs going on to add to this great thread on RSC!
IMG_20230122_165904.jpg

Almost there.
IMG_20230122_170738.jpg

Right before I took it off.
IMG_20230122_171958.jpg

Served with Cilico Beans and Cheese Potatoes. Photo was after I eat the thigh.
IMG_20230122_173140.jpg

Sometimes my family can be picky with the protein. Prepping this last night, I thought I might have a lot of leftovers, nope, one little thigh and one leg. Everyone really like it today and a few said, you never made this before dad. To which, I just rolled my eyes. This is a great chicken recipe that needs to be keep in the rotation more often then I do.

Attachments

• IMG_20230122_170311.jpg
    IMG_20230122_170311.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 3

Back