RJ45 attached Probes?

DPackham

TVWBB Member
I just built a HM 4.2.4 and everything works great. now I would like to extend my servo/blower/probes to the end of a cat5 cable. I see on the HM board where I connect the blower and servo on the RJ45 jack but I don't see any instructions on extending the regular ET73 probes... do I just use a jumper from the mono jacks on the board and patch the signal leg to one of the unused RJ45 pins? use common ground? as I dont see any traces to those empty RJ45 pins...

NOT using any TC stuff BTW

Also... where do I attach the ambient temp probe if i want to add one to my HM 4.2.4? i dont see an open slot?

Thoughts?

Last edited:
You want to add a jumper wire from the onboard jack to Pin1(probe1) Pin2(probe2). If you see where the probes are you can see 4 pads that are underneath the jacks. 1st one is ground, and then pit, 1,2,3 probes. If you can get wrapping wire, that works great as it can fit into the hole of the RJ45 pin and give a good connection, otherwise make sure it you solder not to bridge the other RJ45 pins. pin1-probe1, pin2-probe2, pin7 would be probe3, and pin8 of the RJ45 would be ground. You want the probes to have their own ground.

Then on the other side you have a couple of options, you can pm me for a small board that you can get from OSH for probably in the $1 range that has just a place for 3 probes and a RJ45 connector, blower, and a servo connection points or you can wire 3 probe jacks to a cat5 jack along with a the blower.

You want to add a jumper wire from the onboard jack to Pin1(probe1) Pin2(probe2). If you see where the probes are you can see 4 pads that are underneath the jacks. 1st one is ground, and then pit, 1,2,3 probes. If you can get wrapping wire, that works great as it can fit into the hole of the RJ45 pin and give a good connection, otherwise make sure it you solder not to bridge the other RJ45 pins. pin1-probe1, pin2-probe2, pin7 would be probe3, and pin8 of the RJ45 would be ground. You want the probes to have their own ground.

Then on the other side you have a couple of options, you can pm me for a small board that you can get from OSH for probably in the $1 range that has just a place for 3 probes and a RJ45 connector, blower, and a servo connection points or you can wire 3 probe jacks to a cat5 jack along with a the blower.

I had to read this a few times before the briquette finally clicked on but think I have the vision. Step 1 would be to solder all the jumpers on the HM side. Do you have to disconnect the existing probe jacks (I have a 4.1.4 board)? Step 2 would be on the damper/blower end and would be to route probe wires into the damper/blower housing (I'm using Tom's offset rotary model) OR use the PCB you mentioned and maybe co-locate that on or near the damper/blower unit. Is that the idea?

[EDIT: Also, I'd suggest this as a Sticky or and addition to an existing HM Sticky for the HeaterMeter DIY BBQ Controller thread. Managing a single cable from the pit to the HM is the way to go IMO. Maybe this has popped up in another thread but this is the first time I've come across it]

Todd

Last edited:
No you can just solder the wires to the J2 header that's where the probes are, that's what it is for! (Well sort of anyway)

As far as stickies, everything can't be a sticky thread. If someone wants to write it up I'll put it in the wiki though.

I hope someone will have the time to write this up. Hopefully soon I will be putting in an order and would like this option.

OK. From the 4.1 Assembly instructions in the Wiki ...

Do not populate J2 (PROBE), J6 (ICSP), or J8 (FTDI) unless you need them. These are provided for users who don't use the integrated connectors.

Let me find and dust of my noob cap ... ah, here it is. Now, is the way to do go about this to solder wires from the J2 header (GND, Pit, Food1-3) to the appropriate pads of the RJ45 modular connector?

Todd

Actually, its best to solder the wires to the SWITCHED LEG on the PROBE JACKS of the HM board... (switched leg is the one in the middle) Reason being, when done this way the probes that come in via CAT5 jack will work by default, but when you plug a probe directly into the HM that probe will function instead of the CAT5 probe (which will be disconnected).

I have 3 Heatermeter 4.2 PCBs coming from OSH that will do away with the wires atleast for 2 probes, as it will have connections for thermocouple. If they work fine, then I could do a Custom HM with 3 probes connected to the Cat5 jack, so there would be no wires to jumper. I believe this has not been done yet, as noise was a issue. But working with the Auxiliary boards, the one thing I have found the only thing that is basically perfect every time are the probes. I don't think noise effects them as much as a thermocouple.

Actually, its best to solder the wires to the SWITCHED LEG on the PROBE JACKS of the HM board... (switched leg is the one in the middle) Reason being, when done this way the probes that come in via CAT5 jack will work by default, but when you plug a probe directly into the HM that probe will function instead of the CAT5 probe (which will be disconnected).

So, run wires from the switched legs of probe jacks to corresponding pads of the JP2 connection (the RJ45) instead of connecting the dots between J2 and JP2?

Todd

Back