Ribs tips & chicken thighs

Brad Olson

TVWBB Diamond Member
A couple of weekends ago I was in the mood for ribs and I had picked up a package of rib tips at the store because I'd never cooked them by themselves. My WSM had been a bit neglected lately so I decided to use it instead of a kettle, and some chicken would be good on the lower grate where it could be basted by the rib drippings.

I used a simple rub of salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder, and the rib tips were rubbed all over but for the chicken I just rubbed the meat side.

The big pieces of ribs tips cooked for about 4-1/2 hours and the smaller pieces and chicken for about 3 hours, and the temperature was generally in the 250-270 range. I used charcoal briquettes and a big piece of apple wood for flavor.

I was pretty happy with the results. The rib tips broke down into chunks and pieces and I liked the smoke ring, and the chicken (cooked skin side down) had a lot of flavor from the rub and dripping pork fat. Plus there were enough leftovers for lunch Monday and Tuesday!

I'd be pretty happy with those too Brad. Looks like they finished off quite well, any leftovers
icon_wink.gif

Back