Ribs sticking to rack solution?

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
My ribs always stick to the rack which a)leaves a mess and b)rips some meat off.

I've tried spraying with Pam but not really ideal as the wire is well, thin and needs to be sprayed outside.

I'm considering parchment pre-cut sheets (about 8" diameter) that are used in air fryers to place coiled rib racks on BUT I thought I'd ask before buying. They are perforated with 1/4" holes so flowthrough is not an issue.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
When the racks are warmed, used cooking oil on some paper towels and use tongs to wipe that oiled paper towel across the grates. Do that a few times and let the oil set a little from the grill’s heat. This helps build up a nonstick layer on the grates.

I do experience sticking on some proteins but ribs has not been one of them. I do the entire smoke with the back side on the grates but I don't sauce the bottom side; could that be the difference?

EDIT: after reading your post again it sounds like you coil your ribs.

Yes, coil them and chine-side down. Always some meat there so...
And ribs are put on cold rack after rubs and let set there while smoker gets up to temp. I agree on the non-stick creation idea but ...

I never have this problem and I think that’s because I keep my grates somewhat seasoned.
What I mean is I’ll wire brush the grate down after a cook while still hot but I don’t scrub the bejesus out of it, mainly just to get the chunks off and I’m sure I leave a bit of fat oil on it.
When I start a new cook I will heat up the grates and give a few scrubs and call it good.
I don’t ever use an oil like PAM to oil the grates.
I cook on mine a lot but if I know I’m not going to cook for a long time I will olive oil them after a good hot scrubbing.
This works for me.
YMMV.

Came across the old onion trick. Might have to re-think my cold grate method.
warm grates allow proteins to sear, and just like a frying pan or CI pan, once the proteins set they release themselves from the cooking surface. so IMO, the cold grates is why your proteins are sticking. warm grates would be a good starting point if you'd like to experiment.

Back