Ribs over Butts - Anyone done it?

LarryR

TVWBB Diamond Member
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!

I was planning on doing a butt cook and then a rib cook for Christmas Eve. Had somethings come-up and it looks like I’m going to have to combine my cooks. I’m thinking I’ll add my ribs over my butts with about 5 hours left in my butt cook.

Has anyone done this cook? Did the fat from the ribs have a negative effect on your butts, e.g., make them greasy, ruin bark, etc.?

Any tips here would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

My thinking is the bark on your butts should be set with 5 hours left in the cook, and the drippings from the ribs shouldn't hurt it that much.

I was thinking about laying down some parchment paper under the ribs to collect drippings.

Yes, I'll be foiling and resting in a cooler.

I was thinking about laying down some parchment paper under the ribs to collect drippings.

Yes, I'll be foiling and resting in a cooler.

I'm thinking the same as long as they don't lay in the drippings, but bone side down shouldn't be a problem. :)

Checking your sig, I would do them on one of the kettles because I assume the butts are going on the WSM?

Nice to hear from you Larry!

Tim

I have smoked both together with the butt on the top rack and the ribs on lower rack being held by a rib rack. The butt self bases the ribs. ribs taste great.

Back