Ribs on WSM

OK so I've decided to do some ribs for my first cook. I simply dont have the time for a butt since we are getting ready for vacation.
I was thinking about the 3-2-1 recipe but I was wondering how everyone else does them.
I see a bunch of recipes for ribs but a good portion of them seem to be for charcoal grills rather than the WSM.
Lastly, If I plan on doing more than one or two racks, can I use the bottom rack?

The 3-2-1 is for spare ribs, not baby backs, and should be used as a guide only. I find that when cooking from 250 to 275 degrees, that 2 hours in foil is too much for my liking when cooking pork spare ribs. My main goal during that first 3 hours is to get the ribs to the color that I want... not too dark. I then foil for about an hour and 15 mins., then back on without foil until done, applying sauce if desired over the last 15 to 20 minutes of the cook.

Everyone has their own method and tweaks. Good luck with your cook!

Steve, I don't know what size WSM you have but you can use the bottom grate on either. I like to keep everything on the top if I can. It's just more convenient for me. I've read posts that talk about 3 racks of ribs on the top grate and they were rolled. I did two racks on the top(rolled) and I had room left over. You just get your ribs ready for the cooker and then roll the rib and hold it together with a skewer.

Your idea will work for spares but, like Andy, I just use 3-2-1 as a guideline.

You can use the bottom grate or pick up a rib rack to use. I don't like to foil ribs, I just put em on, try to keep the temp around 250, and start checking them after four hours or so and take them off when a tooth pick slides in easily.

Originally posted by Tom_M:
You can use the bottom grate or pick up a rib rack to use. I don't like to foil ribs, I just put em on, try to keep the temp around 250, and start checking them after four hours or so and take them off when a tooth pick slides in easily.
I know Im gonna get harassed for this but will this achieve the fall off the bone tenderness?
Thanks guys for the info

Ohhh yeah, Im thinking since this is the smoker's first cook I was planning on using water in the bowl.....yeah or nay?
I know many say it doesnt matter but I was thinking since it isnt dialed in, it may be easier for me to keep my temps in the lower range many of the rib recipes call for

Originally posted by Steve W (Weave):

I know Im gonna get harassed for this but will this achieve the fall off the bone tenderness?
Thanks guys for the info

Fall off the bone tenderness can be achieved without using foil, but I never go for fall off the bone. To me they are overcooked when they reach that stage.

As to your question about the water pan, my best suggestion is to try a couple cooks with water and then try some without to find out what works for you.You'll see that some guys swear by using water and some swear at it.

I'm on the no water side of the fence, but I think everyone should try both ways for themselves as part of the learning curve for the WSM.

Originally posted by Tom_M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve W (Weave):

Thanks guys for the info

Fall off the bone tenderness can be achieved without using foil, but I never go for fall off the bone. To me they are overcooked when they reach that stage.

As to your question about the water pan, my best suggestion is to try a couple cooks with water and then try some without to find out what works for you.You'll see that some guys swear by using water and some swear at it.

I'm on the no water side of the fence, but I think everyone should try both ways for themselves as part of the learning curve for the WSM. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Cool....thanks for the info. I'm with ya on the tenderness.....Its the wife who likes them that way! LOL

I think it's a good idea to use water your first few of cooks and then try other things once you have a feel for the cooker. Eventually you'll find what you like to do.

My wife wants her ribs sauced and fall off the bone tender. I foil the ribs with sauce and pour some Apple Juice in the foil then remove when they're tender. They taste great. Once you foil them you can just stack them on the top grate and they'll cook fine. With them all on the top rack it's easy to check for tenderness. Again, you'll find what you like to do by trying different things and you'll learn from every cook. You'll learn faster if you keep a cooking log.

Most importantly, enjoy the cook.

I cook my spare ribs at 275F (2 1/2, 1 1/2). I do not use water, I use a foiled clay flower pot base in the foiled water pan.

Bob

Back