Ribs on the 18.5" WSM

Bill French

TVWBB Fan
Sorry if this has been asked countless times before but... (I did a quick search but didn't find what I needed)

I've read a couple techniques to get a rack of ribs to fit on the WSM 18.5" grates such as using a rib rack and rolling up the ribs. What about simply cutting a rack in half and placing the halves side by side? Is this a big no-no?

Its ok. Just need a rack to hold them upright: to save room and so they don't touch each other. Thats why I roll them: no rack needed, and no touching.

Yea your fine laying halves on that grate. An untrimmed rack of spares might be tight at first, but it will shrink. Trimmed to St- Louis or loin back ribs should be no problem.
Try one that way and see what you think?
I'm with Len on rolling rather than using a rack. One less thing to clean up after a cook.:wsm:

Tim

I did exactly that. Cut them in half and laid them on the grate. Came out perfect! This was my first smoke and I couldn't be happier!

I did 2 racks of St. Louis cut ribs on my 18.5" WSM a couple weekends ago. I just layed them flat on the top rack next to each other. Both barely fit but they did.

And laying them flat is just fine--for small quantities. Rolling them, you can get a minimum of three (and sometimes four) on a rack.

I used to cut them in half and use a rib rack. Could get 3 or more slabs on each grate. Have done 9 slabs total that way a few times. Then I realized the real benefit of rolling the ribs - no rib rack to clean! So that's what I do.

Back