Ribs on both grates

Mikey Stazz

Have done ribs plenty of times, but always 2 or 3 slabs on 1 grate of the WSM. Plan to do 4 - 6 racks this weekend using both grates. Does this increase cooking time? Would you add more coal or additional wood chunks? Thanks very much!

I would add maybe one or two more chunks of wood depending on the wood. Hickory, no. Apple, probably. How many chunks and what kind do you normally use when you do 2-3 racks?

Going from 2-3 to 4-6 racks shouldn't increase the cook time that dramatically if at all.

Post some pics!

Kev

Thanks Kev. For 2 slabs abt 3 - 4 lbs each I usually use approx 4 fist size chunks of hickory and 2 apple. You think I should bump that up for 4 slabs abt that same size?

My own thought is to NOT add more wood. The reason for this is primarily that you can't undo it if it's too much.

I can always enjoy slightly under-smoked ribs (how can you not
icon_wink.gif
) but if there's too much, well you really have to like it then.

I'd use your usual amount this time 'round and learn from the experience for next time.

Thanks for the info guys. I will def use the same amount of wood and take it from there. What abt the lump charcoal, do you suggest I use the same amount as well?

since the cook time should be about the same I would use what you've been doing, assuming you get through a cook w/o adding.

Kev

What I've found is that it's best to not change anything. It might use some small extra amount of fuel to get the cooker up to temperature with some extra cold meat in there but not that you would notice it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doug Wade:
What I've found is that it's best to not change anything. It might use some small extra amount of fuel to get the cooker up to temperature with some extra cold meat in there but not that you would notice it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep. No reason to add any additional wood. (But wow, that's a lot of wood for ribs, and I'd flip the ratios at the least since hickory is pretty strong.) Just a little more time to come up to temp.

Ribs are the first thing I messed up on my WSM many years ago. Too much hickory is a bad thing. My go to wood is apple. I always throw 1 chunk of hickory or cherry into the mix however. When I messed up those ribs they were not even edible! They were cherry red in color from too much hickory wood! Very nasty....For my tastes 3 or 4 tennis ball size chunks is enough wood for most large hunks o meat! When I do brisket though, I might use 6 or more spread out because beef does not absorb smoke as easy as other meats...

Back