Ribs - Could have been better

I am looking to try St. Louis style ribs again today. I am interested in the 3-2-1 variation that is 2.5, 2.5, 1 to get fall off the bone ribs. I am having trouble figuring out what’s temps to use though. For example, one site recommends 180-200 for the first 3 hours, and 225 for the last two time periods. That seems much lower than what was mentioned here.

If I were to do 2.5, 2.5, 1, what would the right temps be? Also, empty or full pan?

Josh,
When I do St. Louis style I cook at 250 and I like to keep water in the pan. I go at least two hours before I wrap them. I am looking to see that rick red bark form before I wrap them. Once they are wrapped is were you can really control how done they get. Once they are wrapped (I love brown sugar, honey, and butter) you are braising the ribs so you really have the chance to let them go shorter to still have a bit longer to really soften up. Check after wrapped for an hour, if they are still stiff, give them another 30 mins then check again. After an hour and a half I check every 15 minutes. Once they are close to where you want unwrap them, sauce them, and let set back on the smoker. My set time is anywhere from 15 mins to an hour.

I am looking to try St. Louis style ribs again today. I am interested in the 3-2-1 variation that is 2.5, 2.5, 1 to get fall off the bone ribs. I am having trouble figuring out what’s temps to use though. For example, one site recommends 180-200 for the first 3 hours, and 225 for the last two time periods. That seems much lower than what was mentioned here.

If I were to do 2.5, 2.5, 1, what would the right temps be? Also, empty or full pan?
How did it go?

Unfoiled, baby back ribs are done in 4 - 5 hours at 250*F, spareribs between 5-6 hours depending on weight.

Full charcoal ring + Minion Method + water should provide at least 6 hours @ 225-250*F. Might be hard to hit 275*F or higher with water in the pan. Fill pan in the beginning but don't refill, just let it run down, temp will come up toward the end. Or don't fill completely at the beginning. Spritz ribs starting at 2 hours every 45 min or so...quickly, no dilly dallying. Lid off, lid on.

Chris, I believe you have given this advice before and it's worth heeding. I now almost always partially fill the water bowl, with the aim of having it dry when the cook ends. One gallon is usually plenty for a rib cook. I have never been able to get foil to work right during a cook. Instead, I wrap the rack in foil when it's finished cooking and rest it in a cooler for at least 30 minutes. It softens the bark and seems to make the meat more consistent -- a good balance for our preference.

Jeff

I used to wrap my ribs like Harry Soo does (i took one of his classes years ago) and one day I forgot to and the family liked them better (disclaimer I like both ways) I have never sauced mine and only rubbed, I like to keep it simple! If you want some sort of heatsink put some baked beans on the second rack (bowl wrapped) and add some liquid (beer for me) and cook them along with the ribs! How I test for doneness is use a toothpick for probing and it goes in easy and the bend test,how far does it bend and the farther it bends the more it is done.

As others have said don't stress out about smoking ribs or anything else for that matter, enjoy the smoke smell and enjoy a cold beverage!

I've been using the gateway hanger in my 22 wsm, I like the way the ribs come out that way...I keep it super simple. Get the fire going, I usually use blue bag briquets, I make a hole in front of a bottom vent and a full small charcoal starter that I start on my grills side burner, and I toss in some hickory branches from a yard tree.
Ribs get hung, rubbed with whatever, and they're done in 3 hours, my wsm without water , runs around 280, 300 with 2 vents closed and the one in front of the lit coals half or less.. I don't wrap, spritz, light a holy candle or even look at them. They always come out tender, juicy, good bark, with a touch of char on the bottom the way my wife likes them.

Sorry , no pics, but its pretty simple, ribs hanging over coals, the bottom hangs just a few inches above the live coals, but strangely don't burn up, just some tasty char on the edges,

I've been using the gateway hanger in my 22 wsm, I like the way the ribs come out that way...I keep it super simple. Get the fire going, I usually use blue bag briquets, I make a hole in front of a bottom vent and a full small charcoal starter that I start on my grills side burner, and I toss in some hickory branches from a yard tree.
Ribs get hung, rubbed with whatever, and they're done in 3 hours, my wsm without water , runs around 280, 300 with 2 vents closed and the one in front of the lit coals half or less.. I don't wrap, spritz, light a holy candle or even look at them. They always come out tender, juicy, good bark, with a touch of char on the bottom the way my wife likes them.
I also have a "GateWay Hanger" and a Hunsaker Vortex(HV) Charcoal Ring Plate fitted on my WSM 18" Classic which still needs a trial run in cooking some Ribs. Why I added the HV is that no Water Pan will be necessary in controlling the Temperature inside the WSM.

Last edited:
I have the vortex thingee also, but I don't use it when hanging ribs cause it sits up too high and the ribs would hit it...I use the standard ring when hanging, and let the drippings hit the coals.

I did the 2.5, 2.5, 1 timing that was suggested earlier in the thread and made sure to add 1/4 cup of liquid for the braising step. The ribs were great and it was a much better experience.

For this cook, I did hang the ribs for the first part. One of the reasons I really like this approach is it minimizes the mess. I am still not sure which side of the ribs (big or small) should be closest to the hanger. Please chime in if you know which way its supposed to be.

I just got the HV basket recently but haven't tried it yet on my 22. While people seem to use it for hot and fast cooking, I'd like to see if you can use it for low/slow cooking as well (~225). If others have experience with this, I'd love to hear about it.

Back