Ribs + chicken

Allan Jones

TVWBB Member
I'm doing 3 baby racks and some chicken on an 18 incher.
Normally, I do the ribs on top so I can see them and about half way through, put the chicken on the bottom rack. The ribs drip on the chicken and I got pork flavored chicken.
I want to continue with the ribs on the top, so this time I'm thinking about a sheet of foil placed lightly over the chicken sorta like an umbrella. Any comments???

By the time the chicken is added... Your ribs would be wrapped in foil if not I don't think much pork drippings will fall on chicken...
But I suppose you can place a pice of foil under the ribs??

I'm with Tony, I would cook the ribs and then once the bark was set well ( not a coating you can rub off with your fingers, but part of the meat) then foil them loosely or inside a aluminum pan with a tent of foil sealing but not touching them. Your chicken can go on for however long you like and not be affected. The ribs will probably be done same time or shortly after your chicken.

Only problem I would have is I like to do ribs around 225, and chicken at 325 or higher. If you don't care about rubbery skin on the chicken, then no big deal.

If he does 275 for the ribs and foils figuring 5=6 hours, starts the chicken at 275 for the first hour and then cranks it up after he pulls the ribs that would work right Jim? Especially if he can pull the water pan when he pulls the ribs. Tricky but careful with channel locks and gloves. Or is there some simpler way? I have not done this combo yet so not sure myself what will work.
Or he could do the chicken at 275 then crank up the heat after he pulls the ribs and finish them on a kettle or gas range at high heat to brown the skin

Bill, if he has a kettle also I would just do the chicken on the kettle. This is the reason you need more than one cooker IMHO.

Back