Ribs and Beans

Cliff Bartlett

R.I.P. 5/17/2021
One of my very favorite cooks, especially when the weather starts to turn warm. I picked up a pack of baby backs a few weeks ago at Costco. I had planned to do my go to beans as a side for the ribs. I just knew I had 4 cups of dry pintos in our pantry. After tearing the kitchen apart for about half hour, I conceded I didn't. Rather than going another direction, my wife encouraged me to go with what we had. I combined partial bags of pintos, black, Navy and kidney beans and just barely got my four cups. Sheeesh, I hate it when that happens, but I wasn't going to town for a bag of beans. Finally cooked up some skillet yellow squash to round things out.

Did some minor trimming on one of the racks and seasoned with Stanley's Rib Rub. Got it on my 18" WSM holding steady at 225, pecan chunks for smoke.

DSC_3123 (Large).JPG

I got my bean assortment going in my dutch oven along with a couple of small ham hocks.

DSC_3126 (Large).JPG

Took a peek at the two hour mark.

DSC_3128 (Large).JPG

After a couple of hours added onion, red bell pepper and garlic.

DSC_3134 (Large).JPG

DSC_3138 (Large).JPG

Ribs are getting there. About 3 hours in here.

DSC_3143 (Large).JPG

Beans getting there.

DSC_3146 (Large).JPG

DSC_3151 (Large).JPG

Got some quick skillet squash going.

DSC_3160 (Large).JPG

Plated it up.

DSC_3164 (Large).JPG

I was happy with this meal. The ribs were really flavorful and tender. Could have pulled off a half hour sooner as the meat was just a little "too fall off the bone" tender, but delicious just the same. Beans and squash rounded things off really well. Thanks for looking everyone.

Excellent looking meal, Cliff. I can't see how you could possibly not have been happy with it! :) My favorite picture is the plated one....looks like the right proportion of ribs to beans to squash!

R

Back