Ribs 3-2-1 (OTS) pictures chronology

last picture is the best one..
icon_smile.gif

Scott....I totally agree with your question. Mildo has some perfect looking ribs there and they done look but NOT like the bones are falling out.
If I did that 3-2-1 method on my WSM and the temp is Lo n Slo at 225 on the cooking grate...my ribs will tear all to pieces and the bones just fall out. And I am talking about meaty St Louis big boys..not back ribs.
I dont know how folks get away with this method.
My last trimmed out spares (St Louis) were cooked for 5 total 3-1-1 and they were competition quality. An extra hour in the foil would make them tear all up. So I too wonder, how in the world can folks do the 3-2-1 and have really great ribs?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
Scott....I totally agree with your question. Mildo has some perfect looking ribs there and they done look but NOT like the bones are falling out.
If I did that 3-2-1 method on my WSM and the temp is Lo n Slo at 225 on the cooking grate...my ribs will tear all to pieces and the bones just fall out. And I am talking about meaty St Louis big boys..not back ribs.
My last trimmed out spares (St Louis) were cooked for 5 total 3-1-1 and they were competition quality. An extra hour in the foil would make them tear all up. So I too wonder, how in the world can folks do the 3-2-1 and have really great ribs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly where I was going with this. I did 3-2-1 for a while, then transitioned to 3-1-1 and 2-.75-.5 for BBR's. Any time I put anything in the foil for more than 30 minutes it seemed they would be FOTB. Mind you if the worst thing that happens to me is I have to eat FOTB ribs, I'm living a pretty good life, but I prefer them just short of that.

I gave up on the 3-2-1 method a good 3 years ago as I couldn't stop it from going to far. I do 275-300 for 2 hours for BBR's and a little longer for spares if they are meaty and if someone wants them fall off the bone I put theirs on 30 minutes ahead of everyone else, smoke for 75-90 minutes, foil for 30-45, and back on the heat for 30 and they are FOTB every time.

I LOVE the flavor of the 3-2-1 method just not the consistency. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I went another direction after so many failed attempts...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott Thomas (GrillinFool):
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Morrey Thomas:
My last trimmed out spares (St Louis) were cooked for 5 total 3-1-1 and they were competition quality. An extra hour in the foil would make them tear all up. So I too wonder, how in the world can folks do the 3-2-1 and have really great ribs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's exactly where I was going with this. I did 3-2-1 for a while, then transitioned to 3-1-1 and 2-.75-.5 for BBR's. Any time I put anything in the foil for more than 30 minutes it seemed they would be FOTB. Mind you if the worst thing that happens to me is I have to eat FOTB ribs, I'm living a pretty good life, but I prefer them just short of that.

I gave up on the 3-2-1 method a good 3 years ago as I couldn't stop it from going to far. I do 275-300 for 2 hours for BBR's and a little longer for spares if they are meaty and if someone wants them fall off the bone I put theirs on 30 minutes ahead of everyone else, smoke for 75-90 minutes, foil for 30-45, and back on the heat for 30 and they are FOTB every time.

I LOVE the flavor of the 3-2-1 method just not the consistency. Maybe I was doing something wrong, but I went another direction after so many failed attempts... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I used Weber OTS. And you? Maybe this is the reason.

My last trimmed out spares (St Louis) were cooked for 5 total 3-1-1 and they were competition quality. An extra hour in the foil would make them tear all up. So I too wonder, how in the world can folks do the 3-2-1 and have really great ribs? </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I used Weber OTS and you?.
icon_biggrin.gif
Maybe this is the reason.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike F.:
Mildo, whatever you're doing--keep doing it! Those ribs look GREAT! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Halo Mike. And thanks.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">My little son said: Goooood! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I would have said the same thing!

Scott,

I have adapted the less than FOTB method myself, and constantly adjust cooking times based on the actual rib and not a method or number. BBR's are often the most delicate, so I vary between 2-1-1 or even 2-.75-1 depending on the rib itself. For the biggest, meaty, thick St Louis rib, 3-1-1 gets it done for me. I the commercialized slogan "fall off the bone tender" is for neophites or people looking at Applebees or TGI Friday's TV commercials.

Back