rib tips vs spares

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
My wife and I have been really getting into the flavor from well cooked Rib tips and enjoying them even more than spares. When you give them enough time the flavor is exquisite. Does anyone else like rib tips and do you have any cool techniques to get the best results?

Rib tips don't seem to turn up very often in the stores I shop, but when I do find some I'm just as likely to grill them as smoke them.

I sometimes cook whole spares with the rib tips still on. GFS sells a10# case of rib tips. Jewel sometimes has the Moo & Oink boxed ones.
Growing up rib tips where more popular then spares on the Southside of Chicago.
275 over Hickory with a light rub. sauce with some Mumbo's Serve over french fries with more sauce.
Normally there are two slices of white bread under the whole shebang to soak up any juices.

Last edited:
I sometimes cook whole spares with the rib tips still on. GFS sells a10# case of rib tips. Jewel sometimes has the Moo & Oink boxed ones.
Growing up rib tips where more popular then spares on the Southside of Chicago.
275 over Hickory with a light rub. sauce with some Mumbo's Serve over french fries with more sauce.
Normally there are two slices of white bread under the whole shebang to soak up any juices.
Thanks for the tip on gfs...

Back