Rib Racks....

Tim D.

TVWBB Fan
I'm sure some, if not many, of you have used rib racks for doing multiple racks of ribs at once. Well, it looks like I may have to this weekend. So my question is, will they be as effective as laying the ribs flat? Or should I put a rack of ribs on the bottom rack in the smoker with 2 on the top? Wasn't sure if the ribs would loose tenderness by cooking on the side. Thanks for your help!

I'm not sure how cooking position impacts the tenderness of the ribs. Due to space constraints in past Webers I've only used rib racks - and have noticed any toughness or other adverse effects. But I've only smoked on Weber kettles, not (yet) on a WSM.

I try to spritz em once an hour for the first 3 hrs, foil for 2 hrs w/apple juice, then unwrap and cook for another hr (classic 3-2-1 method). Keep your temps between 225-275 and this method is practically foolproof.

Use both the bottom and top racks. If you don't have enough room between those, then use a rib rack.

Bob

Bob,

Would you move the ribs from the top to the bottom and bottom to top halfway through smoking? Thanks!

If you're cooking with water, I wouldn't worry about rotating top to bottom.

How many ribs are you trying to cook? I use to use a rib rack for three racks, but now I roll them (less clean up). If I had 6 racks, I would roll them and use top and bottom grates. If I had more, I'd use rib racks.

My thought is use the racks before rolling. I prefer the beauty of a nice mahagony flat rack.

We had a discussion on this just last week. When really filling both grates, I prefer using racks so that the bottom ribs laying flat don't pool with all the drippings ruining the bark.

I may do 3 on top an 2 on bottom. More than that and I go to racks. Did 10 slabs once.

I've done ribs both ways - laid flat and in a rack. I prefer the rack just because its easier to fit more ribs on my 18.5 inch WSM. As far as tenderness, I didn't notice any difference. I think you should go with whatever method is best for you from a spacing standpoint. You ribs will be just as tender either way. Good luck.

I have several kinds of rib racks, but I think the best for the money and functionality is the
Charbroil 4740 Potato-and-Rib rack. Available from Amazon and most likely Lowe's and/or Home Depot. My WSM is an 18.5" and I half my slabs to
make them fit. I can do seven slabs using two
of these Charbroil racks.

I might never buy a rack since I learned about rolling them and pinning them with bamboo skewers on this great site. I can fit 4 St. Louis racks on each grate of my 18.5 smoker.

I prefer not to use the lower level unless I really have to, and with a 22" I usually don't have to. If I'm making two slabs I'll just set them side by side on top. Three I'll use a rack up top. Haven't noticed any huge differences - maybe the rub drips off a little more on the rack, maybe it's just my imagination. The most I've ever had to do is six (I think I did 4 up top and 2 on the bottom). The most I could do is 9 just because I happen to have one rack that holds 4 and one that holds 5. I guess if you put in a third layer you could do 15 easily enough...

Back