Rib Rack Recommendations Needed

I got a Raichlen rib rack when I first got my 18.5 wsm, just because I thought it was one of those accessories that I was supposed to have. I used it twice, decided that I didn't like using rib racks, and haven't used one since. I haven't needed to cook more than 3 slabs at a time, so it hasn't been a problem. If I need to cook more than 3 slabs, I plan on trying the roll method like in Len's pics before trying to make a rack work again.

I got a Raichlen rib rack when I first got my 18.5 wsm, just because I thought it was one of those accessories that I was supposed to have. I used it twice, decided that I didn't like using rib racks, and haven't used one since. I haven't needed to cook more than 3 slabs at a time, so it hasn't been a problem. If I need to cook more than 3 slabs, I plan on trying the roll method like in Len's pics before trying to make a rack work again.

I do not like rib racks either, but the 18 is so small i either have to cut them or roll them which i dislike even more than the rack, may i ask how you configure slabs to get 3 racks on? Thanks

Joe

I cut them in half and lay them flat on the grates, 3 on each grate. I usually end up doing a little rearranging so that the two longest pieces go in the middle of the two grates and the 2 shortest/most narrow pieces go to the sides on the lower rack (admitting that when cutting them "in half", I usually end up with slight differences in length). I almost always do St. Louis style, so I'm not sure if/how that would work with other types.

Last edited:
Anybody tried the Ikea SS pot lid configurator? Looks like it would work like a charm. And, like usual, Ikea's prices are hard to beat.

I have several models of rib racks. I prefer to cook the whole rack (or split) flat on the grates when I can. When I can't I use a rack.
I cook spares most often. And typically St. Louis cut. So I use a rack to hold the ribs vertical as I need the other space to cook the
parts along with the ribs.

What I have found over the years and styles is that the basic stainless steel rib rack from Weber has worked best for me. It is more compact, and lower in heigth and shorter in length. So
doesn't take up as much space and leaves area around it (depending) to throw on other cuttings or food around the perimeter. The height is just right for St. Louis spares, full spares or baby backs.

The spacing between verticals seems just right. The overall height as well. Stainless means it will clean up easily with a non abrasive pad after a soak.

It's a straight up good rack for a reasonable price. I have larger, heavier enameled and other styles.

You will typically need to use skewers (I use bamboo since you can snap them to size as needed) to hold the racks from touching regardless of the type you end up with. But I have found
this style to be the best performer out of the other styles I have. It's and overall smaller less bulkier size which I find perfect by comparison after many cooks.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000WEPFOA/tvwb-20

Last edited:
I cut them in half and lay them flat on the grates, 3 on each grate. I usually end up doing a little rearranging so that the two longest pieces go in the middle of the two grates and the 2 shortest/most narrow pieces go to the sides on the lower rack (admitting that when cutting them "in half", I usually end up with slight differences in length). I almost always do St. Louis style, so I'm not sure if/how that would work with other types.

I do the same thing but with BB's. They're smaller so getting three to four halves on the top rack isn't too much a problem.

The weber looks great. However, I can't see paying 30.00 for it. Now when target unloads them in the fall, it may be worth a look.

I got the two Charcoal Companion reversible rib rack and they are pretty nice, definitely substantial and well made. They will be handy for roasts, smaller hams, and ribs. I have used them to do smoke pork belly bacon as well as thick cut pork chops. They did fine for that except being a bit short if your pork belly is not cut into smaller sections. The bellies I buy are cut into smaller chunks, maybe 2 or 2.5 kilos each, about the size of full racks, maybe a smidge more. So if I was going to get another rack so I could do taller cuts of belly at one time, it would be the Brinkmann 9007. Actually one of each would be my ideal solution. Price is so close between them $12 and $13 roughly, it doesn't factor in. For longevity or durability, I'm guessing the Charcoal Companion will last longer. I can't see it wearing out anytime soon unless I drive over it by mistake.

I found this at Lowes yesterday for $15 and change. Made by Master Forge and it's stainless. Fits the 18.5.

Master%20Forge%20Rib%20Rack.jpg

Last edited:
I found this at Lowes yesterday for $15 and change. Made by Master Forge and it's stainless. Fits the 18.5.

Master%20Forge%20Rib%20Rack.jpg

Now that looks great and not big, I bet you could get a meduim sized Turkey in that if it was flipped over? Or a nice sized Pork Roast Oh I am getting hungry again.

Ok, bringing up a month old post, but do you guys find that when you use a rib rack it takes a little longer to do the meat since they are touching or close to touching.
I only used mine one time and the ribs werent done but I also had other time issues so not sure which was the problem.

I have a need to do 5 full racks on my 18.5 but have been afraid to try it yet due to the rack question?

most likely the amount/mass of the meat rather than the rack. would suggest you try a few more times before condeming the rack.

George - GREAT to see you back, buddy!!! (sorry, I realize it's not related to the post - my apologies).

Also thanks to Dean I picked up the Master Forge rib rack from Lowe's this afternoon. It's a good quality unit for 15 bucks, well designed to hold 6 racks and fit them on an 18 inch grill/smoker. Should work well for baby backs but may present a problem for larger ribs like spares. I could see those slumping over due to the shorter height of the rib separators.

Last edited:
Has anybody found the Master Forge rib rack at any place other than Lowes? The nearest Lowes to us is about a 2 hour drive one way from us. I like the looks of this rack and the dual purpose. The price a Lowes looks to be very reasonable, but not looking forward to a 4 hour drive just to get a rib rack.

Len-the rolled ribs look like a great idea. I have a few questions.
1). Can you do this with St. Louis or is this strictly a baby back only technique?
2). Can you still foil or will the ribs just tear apart when you unfoil them and then re-roll them to put them back on the smoker?
3). Does this technique increase cook time (all things equal)?
4).Does this technique compromise the finish or aerance of the rib?
5). Any idea how many racks of ribs will fit on the top grate when using the rolling teachnique on a 22.5 WSM?

Back