Rib Rack and Maverick probe placement - Newbie questions

Matt H.

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi guys,

The wife just bought me a Weber Smoker 18.5 for my bday! Exciting stuff. I'm planning on smoking some baby back ribs from costco for super bowl sunday for a decent sized group and have a few questions. I bought 2 "Charcoal Companion Non-Stick Reversible Roasting / Rib Rack"s. I notice some say they cut their ribs in half to fit them on a rack and others do not. What's the maximum number of racks I can fit on both levels? Can I fit more on the top level than the bottom? I know you can fit 4 by skewering, but to me rib racks seem easier. Thoughts? I also bought a Maverick ET732 and am wondering where people attach their probes if they use a rib rack? Thanks! This forum is great.

Matt

Place just the probe, no part of the wire, in a top vent hole, have a beer, and maintain your sanity

I did 5 with a Raichlen rack on my 18.5" (Serpentine)
20121027_131658.jpg

The outer ends outside the water bowl did get a little dark, so that's why some cut in halves. If I ever try that again I would add some foil under the ends as a shield.
As far as the Mav probe, I just let mine hang in the top-vent.
HTH and good luck!:wsm:

Edit: That was 2 racks of Spares and 3 BB

Tim

Last edited:
I did 5 with a Raichlen rack on my 18.5" (Serpentine)
20121027_131658.jpg

The outer ends outside the water bowl did get a little dark, so that's why some cut in halves. If I ever try that again I would add some foil under the ends as a shield.
As far as the Mav probe, I just let mine hang in the top-vent.
HTH and good luck!:wsm:

Edit: That was 2 racks of Spares and 3 BB

Tim

any reason you didn't use the bottom grate?

Matt, if it's the six slot racks, I have a couple of the same ones, and I think they're pretty good ones. In a perfect world, by the time all the heat reached the top grate it would be well circulated and even in temp across the top grate. However, pop open a can of biscuits to disperse all over the top grate and you'll soon learn that isn't so. I want burnt ends from a brisket point, not ribs, so that's why the only full-length slabs of ribs I'd cook on the 18.5" would be either the smallest slabs of back ribs or rolled and skewered. Most of the back ribs from Costco I've seen were pretty big racks, but it's your call.

Once you learn what to look for in judging when ribs are done, if you want to try foiling, you can still use the racks. I'd wrap and stack or put in disposable alum. pan, depending on how many. You could then put back in the racks to set the glaze at the end of the cook if you want to after the tenderness stage in the foil.

As long as your probe tip isn't touching the meat or on the far outside perimeter of the grate (past the edge of the water pan), you're good, and good luck with them. Nothing wrong with going by the gauge or hanging the probe in the top vent, either, though. By the way, Chris has a lot of good info in the "cooking section" of the website, so be sure to check it out.

Last edited:
Matt, if it's the six slot racks, I have a couple of the same ones, and I think they're pretty good ones. In a perfect world, by the time all the heat reached the top grate it would be well circulated and even in temp across the top grate. However, pop open a can of biscuits to disperse all over the top grate and you'll soon learn that isn't so. I want burnt ends from a brisket point, not ribs, so that's why the only full-length slabs of ribs I'd cook on the 18.5" would be either the smallest slabs of back ribs or rolled and skewered. Most of the back ribs from Costco I've seen were pretty big racks, but it's your call.

Once you learn what to look for in judging when ribs are done, if you want to try foiling, you can still use the racks. I'd wrap and stack or put in disposable alum. pan, depending on how many. You could then put back in the racks to set the glaze at the end of the cook if you want to after the tenderness stage in the foil.

As long as your probe tip isn't touching the meat or on the far outside perimeter of the grate (past the edge of the water pan), you're good, and good luck with them. Nothing wrong with going by the gauge or hanging the probe in the top vent, either, though. By the way, Chris has a lot of good info in the "cooking section" of the website, so be sure to check it out.

Well I could cut them in half and use both grates and that would be six racks which probably would work for the group (thoguh there are some real big eaters). Or I suppose I could lean half racks on the sides of eacj rack and that would get me up to 8 (thought the costco ones come in 3s). I'm not overly adverse to rolling them, but racks just seem easier to me. I don't mind if every rib isn't perfect.

Just preference, really. You get more bark and easier access with the top grate, but stuff cooks just fine on both grates.

Back