Rib Help

Dave Ables

So I made my first attempt at Ribs over the weekend. Temperature was good, I thought I foiled at the right time, and I did the bend test and they appeared ready after 5 hrs at 230-250 (was windy, so temp was a bit of a challenge) The result was great flavor, solid bark, but the ribs weren't nearly as tender as I'd hoped for. I also noted that the smoke coloring was heavier than I expected, almost like a bacon appearence in spots. My thoughts are:
1.) Maybe too much smoke?
2.) didn't cook it long enough?
3.) should have foiled earlier?

Would love some help

Hmmmm.....
Spares or Baby backs - My guess is spares?
Smoke wood type? how much added and when?
Foil process?
Ribs not tender - usually not cooked long enough.
Ribs dry - usually cooked too long.
In addition to the bend test, there is the visual pull back on the bones and the toothpick test.

The good thing about bbq is you get to eat your mistakes.

It could have been too much smoke but you said it had great flavor so I doubt that. If you foil earlier your color will be lighter but I don't care about the color because I cook for taste and tender. If you're practicing for competition then I don't know what role color plays in that.

I suspect that if you foil earlier and cook a little longer you'll get what you want. If a probe or toothpick goes into the rib meat easily it's ready.

The wind can create a challenge so making a wind screen is a good idea.

if you had fun, learned something, and the meat tasted great then that sounds like a perfect cook.
wsmsmile8gm.gif

I mean 5hrs at 230/250 should be pretty close to done,could easily have gone 6 or 7 hours,If it was as windy as you said ,that probably was the factor and they sound like they were under cooked, but yea forget the bend test, use the toothpick test with conjuction too how much the meat has pulled back off of the bone.

No, you can't "blame it on a tough cut of meat". If the ribs weren't tender they were undercooked. The "bend test" is nothing at all to rely on. Test for tender. Feel the meat. A probe will go into the meat between the bones effortlessly.

Me, I like a smoke ring to go nearly almost completely through the ribs. Ymmv.

I wrapped them completely in foil after 3 hours. They definately weren't dry, just a little firmer than I like. Thanks for all the responses. How long does one normally wait to foil ribs?

Rule of thumb, 2 hrs meat side up, turn over for 1 hour bone side up, wrap and back on grill meat side up for 1 hour, then unfoil and back on to glaze or cook for tenderness checking every 30 minutes.
I am assuming you are cooking them at 225-240.

Not for me. I never flip ribs while smoking. If I foil I foil when the color is where I want it to be - irrespective of time. Only then do I flip and place bone side up on the foil. I do not time the foiled stage either. I always cook till tender while in the foil. At that point I unfoil, place on the grate for a few minutes to firm the bark (I wouldn't dream of saucing during cooking); done.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> just a little firmer than I like </div></BLOCKQUOTE> = a bit undercooked

I'm sure everyone has their own method. Also depends on whether you are submitting for judging and the sanctioning body and those judge's preferences.

I've only foiled ribs once and thought it was kind of hassle, maybe it's laziness, I have good luck at 260-280 temps not flipping and probing for tenderness at around 4hrs give or take for loin backs and a bit longer for spares.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by J Hoke:
I'm sure everyone has their own method. Also depends on whether you are submitting for judging and the sanctioning body and those judge's preferences. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That it does.

I've started foiling butt and ribs more lately, and am liking the results (especially with the butt). I've been adding "a fair amount" (unmeasured) of apple juice into the foil with the meat.

Do you foilers add juice?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Do you foilers add juice? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
For ribs, yes, I use juice reductions (usually a blend of two) sometimes with a stock reduction. For brisket I add nothing. I never foil butts.

Back