Reverse Sear - first attempt

Michelle, and everyone one else wondering about reverse sear, here is a video that Meathead and Jamie Purviance did on reverse sear steaks. It explains a lot

I have only done the reverse sear one time, and personally didn't like it as much. Maybe I didn't do it right?

Anyway, I think it is personal preference.

http://youtu.be/EnuKEFquBt0

Rick, thanks for sharing the video that answered a lot of quetions I had.

..... here is a video that Meathead and Jamie Purviance did on reverse sear steaks. It explains a lot

I have only done the reverse sear one time, and personally didn't like it as much. Maybe I didn't do it right?

Anyway, I think it is personal preference.

http://youtu.be/EnuKEFquBt0

That's an excellent video and I agree very much with what Meathead and Jamie conclude there. It's just fun to experiment and try different techniques. The results either way (sear first/sear rear) are excellent.

When I reverse sear, I keep the grate temp @ 200-225°. Bringing the temp of the meat up slowly will make it cook more evenly through the center.It also gives the meat time to smoke, if desired. A 1.5-2" thick steak will take 45 mins- an hour to hit 112°. Then I will plate and cover with foil, until the grill gets up to 600-700°. The high temp allows you to get the good char that Meat Head said his steak was missing. I use the same technique for tri tips and prime rib roasts. The meat will be med rare through out, with only 1/4" around the edge that's more done.

When I reverse sear, I keep the grate temp @ 200-225°. Bringing the temp of the meat up slowly will make it cook more evenly through the center.It also gives the meat time to smoke, if desired. A 1.5-2" thick steak will take 45 mins- an hour to hit 112°. Then I will plate and cover with foil, until the grill gets up to 600-700°. The high temp allows you to get the good char that Meat Head said his steak was missing. I use the same technique for tri tips and prime rib roasts. The meat will be med rare through out, with only 1/4" around the edge that's more done.

It's an interesting concept and I really appreciate your explanation. But boy, it sure does add to the time to cook a steak.

But then again grilling is not really prefered if your in a rush. Im one of those that really like that reverse sear. Lets say you have an awesome marbled steak...for it to shine the fat should render to a sertain point make it exellent. To bring out the best of it. If cooked hot and fast to a rare its a waste of quality. my 2 cents

I only RS on two inch steaks, because I think it more important to have a good sear rather than the indirect cook. If you overshoot the initial range then one cannot sear without overcooking, and that is not good......If I do RS, I will stop at 110 degrees to sear. I will also take the steak off to let it cool while building up a hotter fire.................I haven't really found that a RS is better but but it is a lot easier to screw up on thinner meats...........................d

Back