Return of Wood Handles!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doug ep

TVWBB Super Fan
Saturday 10/31/09, I stopped at a True Value hardware store. I was shocked to see a new for 2010 Weber FirePlace. Store owner said it was at the show (hardware show?), and that everyone was quite surprised at the return of the FirePlace, since they had heard no rumors, and yet there it was... So, he ordered a few for stock.

But on top of it, were wood handles, with Weber logos on the wood.

So, the long wait may be over for real official replacement Weber wood handles for older products. Also, the bolt on handles could be used for handles on the WSMs (not that any of us would misuse parts in any way).

He also had in stock a new brick red Performer still in the box, but was unaware of the new Platinum, and had not yet ordered one.

So, everyone, keep your eyes out for new products arriving soon at your favorite retailers! Sorry, Chris, can't kick the tires at Amazon.

Pics please!!! I've always kept an eye out for the old wood firepit, but haven't been able to find one. Wonder what the diameter is on it - and if they make a great that would fit it??

I'm thinking that firepit - depending on diameter - could be a poor mans ranch kettle. Install a couple of daisy wheel/vents - charcoal grate and cooking grate - thoughts?

found specs on it - 70cm width - so about 27.5 inches. Maybe not a poor mans ranch kettle, but a poor mans 26"? I believe the new 26" kettle grate is 26.5", so it might fit. Probably after purchasing grates, wheels etc. - wind up spending as much as a 26" kettle anyways.

Glad to hear the wooden handles are possible making a comeback. Nothing wrong with plastic, but there's something about wood. In my opinion, it’s timeless.

I've noticed the plastic handle on my OTS & G get dangHot when grillin' on hi heat... The wood doesn't... If I can find wooden handles, I'll replace all my plastic ones.

Pics! Actually, it was a DoItBest store. I think the fireplace top and bottom are basically the ash pan from a Ranch kettle. Click thumbs to view large pics.

FirePlace

Wood Handles

Closeup

NIB 2010 Brick Red Performer

He was not aware of the new OT Platinum, but was trying to add one to his order.

Sorry, I add pics infrequently, so I have to relearn how every time.

Has the new heat shield...so it can't be the old one
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Kevin H.

Weber schematic diagram from the Fireplace 1991-1995 looks exactly like this. I'm thinking they just found some dead stock.

i searched some other countries and others show the fireplace with the plastic handles. also the parts breakdown go to the plastic handles. so i think the wood handles are not back. hey, weber, ya listening up !??

Honestly, it's almost worth buying oldOLD Webers just for the handles... the EO I picked up today has two wood handles in spectacular condition. OutStanding!!
I'm not looking for 8 nice handles... and it's become a personal mission...
icon_mad.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back