Restoring used Genesis E-330 vs using a Q3200

BrianInOC

I just acquired a free Genesis E-330. It could use new flavorizer bars and grates and a good cleaning. The sheet of middle inside the lid also has a little rust. It works fine. But the frame has a bit of surface rust. Nothing bad enough yet to weaken it, but enough to be a starting point for problems later. I'm in Southern California, so it is relatively dry here.

I currently using a Weber Q 3200. It doesn't have any frame rust problems because the frame is plastic.

I'm trying to decide which one to keep. How much better of grill is the E-330? Which one would you keep? Is it worth trying to restore the E-330 frame or just let it be? If I should restore it, do I just take my electric sander at it and then spray paint it?

Last edited:
If the rust isn't too bad, then yah, a wire brush on an angle grinder would clean up the rust good. Then some sanding, priming and painting will give you quite a few more years out of it. But those E3xx grills are definitely prone to rust. Good thing you are in S. Cal. I also agree the Q3200 is an awesome grill. Very durable, simple and effective with almost as much cooking space as a Genesis grill.
Which should you keep? I would fix up the E3xx and use it for a while and see how you like it. It definitely has more capabilities that then Q, but unless you really need them and use them, the Q is probably going to be your best bet. Or, keep them both long term.

I like my E330. I've never cooked on a Q.

E330 is great for hot fast direct cooks, and two zone. I use CI on the side burner for blackened fish or a wok. Keeps the grease splatter out of the kitchen.

I also use the side burner to light chimneys of coal.

How bad is the rusted cabinet?

Pics of the rusty spots will help us recommend fixes.

E075D9AC-D822-46D1-AA13-7FF522BFAD95.jpeg

Attachments

• E896F905-A1D9-4E34-813A-79F84A1A2766.jpeg
    E896F905-A1D9-4E34-813A-79F84A1A2766.jpeg
    194.7 KB · Views: 23
  • CD6DF620-A079-4D76-9378-3B3273CA55BE.jpeg
    CD6DF620-A079-4D76-9378-3B3273CA55BE.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 27
  • A57AB642-C366-4A46-B148-C6149768A648.jpeg
    A57AB642-C366-4A46-B148-C6149768A648.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 27
Some of that rust is pretty concerning. It looks like the sides are already infected. To clean that up, you will have to take it apart and get all the rust out between the seems of the bottom and sides and back and then repaint. The bottoms of the legs look a bit concerning as well. It is going to take some work to get it cleaned up right, but it can be done. You can also consider just using it as is and it will probably go another eight to ten years before the rust causes parts to fail.

If you enjoy doing this kind of restorative work and use your grill a lot, then go for it. But I agree with @Bruce and @DanHoo -- there's lot of work here.

I have a 10 year old E330 (second gen Genesis) and absolutely love it. Nice and tempting as some of the new Weber grills are (not to mention some other brands), there is no way I'm giving mine up with it's minor but special customizations. But it has been basically covered on a porch for it's lifetime and there is no rust. So if you love hard work, great. Otherwise, keep the Q and maybe try out the E330 as is. Only extra special performance and results may be the decider on whether the effort and cost (parts are not cheap) is worthwhile.

I have a e320 and I had a Q3200, I gotta say the 3200 was the most reliable cooker I ever had. Predictable temp (Once broken in) and overall really great. I love my e320 too, gave Q to dad because I have natural gas at the new house.

I guess it comes down to how much time and money do you want to invest.

I think it's less than an hour to dismantle it down to the frame, and an hour to re-assemble, then an hour or two attending to rust and repainting the frame.

I always find myself taking overnights for things like paint to dry before reassembly etc. When I redid my wood slats, that was a weeklong experience but then again I sanded all the way down to wood. The amount of time you spend refurbishing a grill is like anything else, how far down the rabbit hole do you want to go? In one day, yes you could redo the frame paint included, but if you want to get gnarly it's a few days of about an hour each day if you want to, say, rustproof, let that dry, repaint, let that dry, then reassemble. Et cetera. But each day is only about an hour depending on how deep down you go.

Good observations. And with paint, really, you often need as long as a week for it to properly cure. This is probably the most time challenging aspect of this crazy hobby. Besides curing time, you need the right weather conditions, too!

Good observations. And with paint, really, you often need as long as a week for it to properly cure. This is probably the most time challenging aspect of this crazy hobby. Besides curing time, you need the right weather conditions, too!
20 to 40 percent humidity helps

Q32X is my favorite weber gas grill. Heats fast, no flavorizers, cleans easy / quick, sips fuel, practically indestructible.

I am in Joe’s camp. I have a Genesis S330 and Q3200 and if I could only have one gas grill it would be my Q3200. If you cook indirect a lot and want the side burner the the Genesis is the way to go though.

For serious grillers, the Q grills are probably not going to satisfy most. But, then, most serious grillers have more than one grill. For the average and novice grillers that just want to do up some burgers, brats or wings and don't need indirect or heat zones and the like, it is a great grill. Probably not a grill that you would find someone trying to cook a brisket on.

Good point. Don't know what I would do without indirect. I have a lot more trouble producing good results with our Q than my Genesis.
For indirect I use a piece of heavy duty foil, punch some slots in it and use a rack on top. I cooked many a chicken and a few thick steaks like that before putting them directly on the grates to get some sear if needed.

For indirect I use a piece of heavy duty foil, punch some slots in it and use a rack on top. I cooked many a chicken and a few thick steaks like that before putting them directly on the grates to get some sear if needed.
Good point. I first tried a rack on top and had better success, but my wife didn't like it and the Q is for her alpha-gal -free use, so we removed it. Since then, straight direct.

Back