Rescued an old WSM

Jen H

I picked up an old WSM for $25. I am trying to determine age. For those with older models like C vent codes is it common to only have the code imprinted on one vent? My top vent and two of my bottom vents aren't coded but one bottom vent has what looks like a C on it. I need to clean it up some to be sure.

Jen, you are a thief! The seller must have thought it was a Brinkmann.
Welcome to the forum!

Tony I need to set up a photo bucket account then I will load some photos.

Bob I was so excited when I saw it posted on a local swap shop site I almost screamed. I have been perusing Craigslist for months and missed out on a couple of $200 smokers. I couldn't believe my luck. It is dirty and needs some TLC but everything is intact minus the charcoal grate. I guess I will have to order one from Weber. I haven't had any luck in the hardware stores.

For the charcoal grate you could try ereplacementparts.com I ordered a vent kit from there to add a 2nd lid vent. They have parts diagrams too which are nice.

Good score. I just bought a grate at lowes.$11.00. No matter how ugly it is,it's still the root of a WSM. Power wash it. strip it down with a good cleaning. burn it out. Then feed that thing tons of succulent dead animals and vibrant veggies.

If you're going to use water, I'd try to find a Brinkman charcoal pan. It holds more than enough to make it overnight without having to refill, but congrats! That's a steal.

Todd what size charcoal grate did you find at Lowes? I pulled the grate out of the floor model and tried to match one up but they were all the wrong size.

Dave thanks for the tip on the water bowl. At this point i have no idea what the benefits are for and against using water.

Wow , $25.00 !!!!! that's awesome.
Clean it from outside and burn the inside real good and u are good to go.
Nice score.

Peter

Here are a few pics prior to clean up which will commence tomorrow when it is warmer. The second and third pictures are the vent which might have a C stamp. The vent style doesn't match some of the pictures I have seen that are C models so I am not sure if this is a legit C code or not. The other vents don't have any stamped codes.

Simple Green works good for the outside. Let it soak for a minute and give a little love and good to go.
You can make it look like new again.
Peter

Jen,

The Home Depots in south Florida carry all of the grates for the Weber Smokey Mountain Cookers, so you might try them. Just after Christmas I bought an old 18.5" WSM. I used one of the purple degreasers and gave it a good cleaning. It really did a good job.
It had some rust, especially inside of the rolled lip on the lid, and I took care of that with Ospho. After that I covered the areas treated with Ospho with high temperature spray enamel.
I gave it to my daughter and her boyfriend and they commented that it looked like new.

Nice job Jen.

When do we get to see your wsm in action?

Tony I am waiting for the charcoal chamber I ordered to come this week then next weekend will be my first cook. The inside of the WSM didn't have any grease in it so planning on a pork butt to get it seasoned.

Back