Replace heavy grates?

Gregg-NJ

Hello all,
I just got a Weber E310 grill with the side controls. The grates are nice and heavy but have a couple spots of rust. I'm assuming they're cast iron. I see the new replacement grates (Weber part 65906) are much lighter in weight. For the original grates is having rust a no go and it's time to toss them or can they be restored? Or will rust just keep reappearing in those spots?
Thanks,
Gregg

As long as they are not porcelain coated and have chunks of porcelain flaking off, then use them until they are not usable any longer. Consider stainless steel rod grates when you do finally replace them.

If you do end up replacing your grates I would stay away from the ones you mentioned (65906). Those are porcelain coated steel and won't last more than a few years. For the money I would look for the stainless steel version of those grates or something in a stainless steel rod as Bruce suggested.

Rust is not that big of an issue.... scape it off and be sure to oil/grease them up.... and USE them regularly! Be sure to rotate and flip side to side to make sure all of the area gets used every 3+ cooks. The two things that kills CI grates is lack of use and cooking in the same spots all the time.... pretty much true for all grates.

I’d keep using them. No issues.

I’ve also never had issue with porcelain coated grates, they work great and last a long time from my experience.

But the heavy grates are preferable.

The original grates are porcelain cast iron. I'd clean them very well and inspect for flaking.

My mom's are circa 2009 originals.mine are 2016. I'd buy these again.

As long as they are not porcelain coated and have chunks of porcelain flaking off, then use them until they are not usable any longer. Consider stainless steel rod grates when you do finally replace them.
Hi Bruce. Weber does say they’re porcelain coated cast iron. It does appear the porcelain is flaking off and rust is appearing. You mentioned some stainless steel rod grates as a replacement. Any brand or model that you like?

Gregg, best to use a good set of stainless steel. Bruce found some nice heavy 9mm stainless ones but I forgot the name brand or there is our old friend out in SF area that makes some gorgeous ones out of 3/8" rod, that are fantastic and given their quality not terribly expensive.

Gregg,
Dave Santana, known by many under his eBay handle "rcplanebuyer" is a wonderful craftsman. Do NOT use eBay but rather contact him via Craigslist. See below. Don't worry that this link is for flavorizer bars. Just tell him exactly what you are looking for:

I have understood that Dave, is not really doing grates right now, but all of us would love an update and if he is willing what the current price is. So please post back when you hear from him.

Not to be a money grubber sales person, but it just so happens that I was getting ready to sell off a lovingly used set of Dave's grates that fit the classic Genesis grills: Genesis 1-5, x000 and Silver/Gold/Platinum. They also fit the SmokeFIre and Spirit 300 grills. Mine will need cleaning, but I am willing to sell the set for $135 plus shipping. I can get them clean and ready to ship fairly soon.

PM me if you (or someone else here) are interested.

Hello all,
I just got a Weber E310 grill with the side controls. The grates are nice and heavy but have a couple spots of rust. I'm assuming they're cast iron. I see the new replacement grates (Weber part 65906) are much lighter in weight.
Gregg,

do you have a Genesis 310 or a Spirit 310?

The grates are different sizes so I thought it would be good to confirm which one you have.

If you have not purchased a set of grates, reach out to RCplanebuyer on Craigslist. The links are all over this site, I just got a set of his grates and I am blown away with the quality of his product. His prices are only slightly more than the Amazon prices. Why not support a small US owned business that takes pride in his work. I am totally happy with the fit, finish, quality, packing and customer service he provided. I’m glad I reached out to him, I’m totally happy!

Back