Remote Therms

G

I have been looking to buy a remote therm like the ET-73 but the reviews a see on Amazon.com are not so hot. So I thought I get some trusted opinions. Is the Maverick the way to go or is there a better option out there. TIA

I have been using the NU-Temp 701 for many years with zero problems. Just a option for you. While not cheap they are reliable and have never let me down.
icon_wink.gif

Link for you

I am in the market for one also and am leaning towards this grill alert from Brookstone. It has received great reviews by numerous sites, including Good Housekeeping Magazine.

Brookstone

Mine works fine (one cook, fingers crossed).
icon_rolleyes.gif

But hey, it was 39.99 + free shipping from Amazon and I'm not yet ready to commit to the Stoker.

I just checked Amazon and the price has gone up substantially. What gives?

Opinions are mixed on the ET-73 - mine works fine - unless it doesn't.
icon_eek.gif

The other unit that folks here use is the Nu-Temp. Opinions on the Nu-Temp are also mixed.

The ET-73 is a bit cheaper than the Nu-Temp.

You pays your money and takes your choice.
icon_confused.gif

I've had an ET-73 for about two months and I love it.

My WSM is on the lanai by the pool. I can get temp readings with the remote in my office, which is the farthest point in my house from the lanai.

I would hate to use the WSM anymore without the ET-73 or something similar.

The only downside I've experienced with my Maverick is that sometimes the receiver to my ET-73 won't update even though it stands no more than 15 feet away from the WSM and transmitter and a typical wall separates the latter from the receiver.

I've had my ET-73 for about 3 years now and have no complaints. The funniest thing is, it is still using the original batteries and I use it all the time........

Thanks for the info, I just orderded one from Amazon yesterday. I am sick of getting out of bed to check my temps, looking forward to sleeping.

I have the ET-901 that I got super cheap off woot.com.

It works great, except to turn the unit off you have to remove the batteries.

I fried the thermocouple probe during a 400* tritip cook and am looking for a new one. Does anyone know where to find one?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by JWBoothe:
I have the ET-901 that I got super cheap off woot.com.

It works great, except to turn the unit off you have to remove the batteries.

I fried the thermocouple probe during a 400* tritip cook and am looking for a new one. Does anyone know where to find one? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Maverick parts

Used mine for the second time this last weekend (made jerky mmmm, again thanks to all for the suggestions on the board)and twice I had to "reboot" i.e. turn on and off because the receiver either starting just showing dashes or did not update, even when I set the two right next to each other. Afterwards it worked just fine for hours. I wrote Amazon and they are sending a replacement unit at no charge (even free return shipping). BTW, the price has gone up either $5 or $15, I get different prices on different searches.

I have used Polder's, Maverick's, etc and once I tried the Nu-Temp I decided I would never buy another remote therm.

It has worked perfectly for a couple of years now while the Polders and Maverick's croaked after a few cooks.

So, get a Nu-Temp. I think you can get a deal through the board, but that might not be running anymore. Either way, the customer service has always been great for me.

I want a Thermapen for regular cooking, though.

Back