Remember when? *****

Pea shooters, and bb guns.
I was dead-eye Bob with both, no brag, just fact.;)

Many mornings before school we would play 'left handed' baseball.
If you were right handed, you threw and batted left handed, and vice versa of course for lefties.
I got pretty good at batting but, like the others, threw like a girl. (no offense ladies)

Mornings spent with Captain Kangaroo on our only (CBS) tv station, so no Howdy Doody for me.

The Captain was a much better show than Howdy, so you did not miss much there.
Pea shooters, and bb guns.
I was dead-eye Bob with both, no brag, just fact.;)

If you were right handed, you threw and batted left handed, and vice versa of course for lefties.
I got pretty good at batting but, like the others, threw like a girl. (no offense ladies)

Mornings spent with Captain Kangaroo on our only (CBS) tv station, so no Howdy Doody for me.

Rotary phones, my Parents # was Frontier 6-7865.
Studded tires, never lost the grip on icy roads.
Three speed shift on the column, my Dad's old ford 150 had one and that's how I learned to drive.
The only cooking shows on TV in the 60's was Julia Child's ( Kitchen) and Grant Kerr's ( The galloping Gourmet.)

Tim

Rotary phones, my Parents # was Frontier 6-7865.Tim
When we moved to St Louis, in 1961, our phone number was PRospect 6-8008, and car plates were M11623
I have not the remotest idea of what my current cell phone number is, or my truck plates.

I had Grandparents in Wyoming and I remember my Grandpa would drive around town with his open beer can on the dash, no open container law at the time. The drinking age in Wyoming was 19 and I remember my older cousins driving to the liquor store drive up window, ordering shots of tequila and they were passed to the vehicle in paper cups….no BS here.

Charcoal lighter flames shooting from the old, no lid grill.

How_To_Start_A_Barbecue_Fire-Cartoon-2.gif

Wow, I had completely forgotten about Andy's Gang. There was a vignette about an Indian kid, can't remember the name.

Going back.... Lancelot Link Secret Chimp, The Thunderbirds (not the Air Force flying team), early Johnny Quest, and of course the original SPAAAAAAACE Ghost!

Russ

I would come home from school and sit down in front of the tv and draw with John Gnagy...I had his drawing set and everything. Might have been a St. Louis thing only, but I kinda doubt that. Bob Correll probably remembers him...he was on just before (or maybe after, I don't remember) Captain Kangaroo.

When you could dial a phone number with just the last 4 digits of the number, after the neighbor got off of the party line.

30 minute shows on TV were about 25 minutes of show and 5 minutes of commercials.

When you didn't have to x-ray your Halloween candy before eating it.

Over the counter meds and food didn't have a safety seal.

People were quiet and respectful in the movie theater.

I remember when the news networks weren't state run, majority ruled and people weren't afraid to take a stand.

Bozo's Circus which aired on WGN.
Ringmaster Ned, Mr Bob, Bozo, Ray Rayner and Sandy.
The grand prize game and Bozo buckets brings back so many memories ( in a good way).:)

Tim

On September 16th, it will be 50 years since the Beatles came to New Orleans -- and yours truly was there (I was just about to turn 10). I remember my father beating his hand on the kitchen table saying, "No way I'm paying five dollars for those two girls (me and my sister, who was 13) to go see those mopheads!" Can you believe it?! Five bucks each. Of course, in 1964, five bucks was a lot of money. Not only did Pop pay for the tickets, but he drove us and one of my sister's girlfriends to the stadium to see them and then picked us up afterward!

This made me laugh, Bob. I'm right handed, as was my mom, but my father, brother and sister were all lefties. So was the parish priest who used to play ball with us (we lived for 6 years across the street from our Catholic school/church). I guess when they showed me how to hit a baseball (we used to play cabbage ball 'cause it was safer and did not require gloves), they showed me how to hit left-handed.

So in grammar school, when the older team I was on played a younger team, everyone had to hit "left-handed." Even though not a soul but me hit left-handed, no one remembered when it was time to switch up. So I'd hold the bat kind of funny with the top drooping behind me (like a girl, I guess you'd say) so I looked like everyone else batting left, and then I'd poon that ball out of sight. I had to finally tell my teammates what I was doing, as they didn't even realize it.

When I was in high school, they taught us golf for phys ed one semester (with whiffle balls cause there wasn't enough room for real golf balls). They didn't have any left-handed golf clubs so I had to use a righty backwards! Golf still is not my game....

Last edited:
I remember in 1972 driving my boyfriend's 1958 MGA and the gas needle was almost on empty. I didn't have any money with me (who DOES that?!) so I scrounged up some change from the bottom of my purse and gave the man $.50 for some gas. It was only full serve then and he didn't blink an eye -- cleaned the windshield for me, too! The needle even moved when he put the gas in!

Remember when service stations gave out something -- like drinking glasses -- when you filled up? My father used to get me to go fill up the car 'cause the young attendant would give me two or three glasses instead of the one my dad got. I heard my mom grousing at him once saying something like, "Bob, I know you send her to the gas station when she's got shorts on and I'm not crazy about that." I also remember hearing him snicker after she said it so I know she was right! I remember one cabinet must've had three or four dozen of those glasses -- we never used them but my father had to have them anyway. He was long dead and they were still in one of my mom's kitchen cabinets!

Great stories and memories Michelle!
I like your dad!

Another for most guys, Mad magazine!
I learned everything I needed to know about life from Alfred E Neuman.:rolleyes:

il_570xN.433729315_bjrn.jpg

I have not the remotest idea of what my current cell phone number is, or my truck plates.

Thank God I'm not alone!

We had a stream right behind the house and I would get home from school in the winter and put my ice skates on and go skating for miles up and down that stream.
In the summer it was crawdad hunting and making boats out of scrap lumber to sail on the stream and try to not let the skeeters eat you alive.

Back