Remember when? *****

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
We used to have gas stations that offered "Full Service" pump your gas, clean the windshield and check your oil.
Going down to Walgreen's on a Friday night to check the Vacuum tubes for my Dad's TV.
The first color TV we bought: when everything went from black & white to OMG!

Jump on in, if you have anything to add..:)

Tim

Cokes were a dime and you had to leave the bottle in the crate beside the machine when you were done.
McDonald's advertised that you could get a burger,fries and a drink for less than a dollar.
You could smoke in doctors offices AND at the hospital! In the rooms,even!
Going to the local bank to buy general admission concert tickets. For less than $10!

seatbelts were an optional accessory in cars......

people started buying microwaves

everyone had an answering machine at home

pagers were big time!

Coors had push button cans

We couldn't get Coors! LOL Beer wasn't sold until noon on Sunday. We'd be sittin there in the parking lot waiting for them to open and then race back to the house to see the Cowboy's game!

When I was a kid, we had three TV channels. ...later they were in Living Color. Of course, we'd rather build forts in the woods or bridges over the creek, or swing on the tire swing than be stuck inside. ...until the street light came on. That was our signal to be in the front yard so when dad whistled we'd hear him. There were not two whistles.

Last edited:
I remember drinking water from the tap and from a hose and a water fountain. Not from a 16oz bottle that costs two dollars and still tastes like tap water. Evian=naive spelled backwards.

The milk man left the bottles in a little aluminum box on your door step and the tops were cardboard caps. We would buy stamps at school for a savings bond. You would get S&H green stamps when you bought gasoline for 30 cents a gallon. Cigarettes were 30 cents too.

It was 3.50 a carload at the drive-in theatre.

The country was united and mourned when our President was assassinated.

Grew up in a small town in southeast MO.
First tv was around 1957, it picked up one station.

No dial on the phone, you told the operator the three digit number.
We had a party line.

When soda pop went from a nickel to 7 cents, mom said no more sodas!
That lasted about a week, she had to have her 6 oz Cokes.
She often had groceries put on "our tab"

Sandlot baseball before and after school.
Rode our bikes all over town with no helmets, but sometimes with baseball cards clipped to the spokes for a motor sound.
We grew up with no baby car seats, no seat belts, lead paint, leaded gas, played with mercury, walked railroad tracks, carried a pocket knife, got spanked, and survived it all.

1969, Colorado Rockies, needed gas for my '67 Firebird, snow starting to fall.
Pulled into a station, the sign said:
"Self Service"
That was the first time I ever pumped gas myself.

Just don't ask me what I did 2 days ago, or had for breakfast yesterday.
I can't remember.

Last edited:
Here's a couple more.
Beer cans with pull tabs that came off and you could make a chain with.
Being devastated when candy bars went to 10 cents from a nickel.
And the penny candy! A big glass fronted display of candy. You could get a bag full of different candies for a dime!

Also,I remember being mad when they kept bumping up the legal drinking age by a year,the year BEFORE I turned that age! LOL

Playing baseball in the pouring rain in the hot humid summer. Catching fire fly's and putting them in a bottle. Hauling butt to get home as soon as the street lights came on, had to be in the house within 5 minutes or grounded for two nights. Filling up my VW bug during the gas wars for $2.50 even with an empty tank.

7 Popsicles for a nickel. Spending all day with friends down by the river with no adult supervision, we were 7. Organizing your own sports & games of scrub baseball, tippy, kick the can, ball hockey etc.

There was no internet.
10338249_694046713964990_7309384990373538185_n.jpg

Going to the barber to get your flat-top haircut.
If you squirmed a bit too much in the chair, he might give you a little head thump with the shears.
And Nobody Got Sued!

a ticket to the 1975 Major League All-Star Game cost me $6.00
and Nickel Beer Night was at least 20 games during a season...

how about the professional athlete... playing the sport for the LOVE OF THE GAME, not for the almighty dollar.

Back