Rehabbing a Q1200. Handle spacers, cotter pin size.

MatthewS

TVWBB Member
Working on a new-to-me Q1200.

The previous owner replaced the cotter pins that hold the lid in place with nuts and bolts. Does anyone know what size a replacement cotter pin is?

Also, there is typically a spacer between the grill lid and the handle. The previous owner used washers. Any ideas of what I could use that is closer to the original hard plastic part? Heat resistant and inexpensive...but looks nice?

One last thing, I'm planning to repaint. Will acetone strip the original paint? I'm looking for an alternative to sanding the hell out of it like I have with previous grills. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_20200919_100845.jpg
    IMG_20200919_100845.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_20200919_100851.jpg
    IMG_20200919_100851.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 22
Those spacers are actually pretty expensive. I believe they are a ceramic type material. I am afraid using washers was the "inexpensive" fix.

Yah, those spacers are prone to cracking and if you happen to drop one, they are usually going to be toast. Also, Weber will not sell just the spacers. I believe they want to sell you the whole handle assembly. You might be able to find some kind of aluminum spacer or something, but I think the reason they use the material they use is that it doesn't transfer the heat from the lid to the handle so readily.

I like the idea as I'm going to make a wood handle. I would think a wood spacer would be bad as it comes in contact with the hot grill lid?
Yes, I agree that wood might not work out too well to replace spacers.

I like the idea as I'm going to make a wood handle. I would think a wood spacer would be bad as it comes in contact with the hot grill lid?

It probably wouldn't last forever but it won't combust. Lots of older grills used to have wood handles.

It probably wouldn't last forever but it won't combust. Lots of older grills used to have wood handles.

That is true. I would use a dense wood way before aluminum. The problem is that the lid is made of aluminum which does an excellent job of radiating heat.

But, does that wood handle ever come in direct contact with the lid? I know on kettles, the wood is not touching the lid, but rather mounted to a metal bracket on the lid. The metal radiates and dissipates a lot of the heat as it travels up the metal bracket to the handle.

But, does that wood handle ever come in direct contact with the lid? I know on kettles, the wood is not touching the lid, but rather mounted to a metal bracket on the lid. The metal radiates and dissipates a lot of the heat as it travels up the metal bracket to the handle.

That is true. The wood handle will be fine. I'm talking about the spacer that is maybe 3/4" long that goes between the handle and the grill lid.

Yah, that space, if made out of wood, would come into direct contact with the lid. Probably not a good thing.

Lots of non-weber grills used to have wood handles on the side. From what I recall, they were in direct contact with the aluminum lids.

7119742_0.jpg

Btw, I find the lid doesn't actually get that hot. Using an IR gun, the lid was around 300F when the lid thermometer read around 550F, and the grate was around 650F

Anyway, I still think silicone washers can be used. They are cheap and also heat resistant.

I tend to agree. I actually have an old Sunbeam I restored that has a wood handle just like the one in the picture. It works, but it does have some slight charring where it meets the aluminum. Maybe because I turned it into a "muscle grill" jacking up its btu output - probably past a safe point :eek: . That's why I call it The Judge!

Pedal to the Metal.jpgThe Judge.jpg

I tend to agree. I actually have an old Sunbeam I restored that has a wood handle just like the one in the picture. It works, but it does have some slight charring where it meets the aluminum. Maybe because I turned it into a "muscle grill" jacking up its btu output - probably past a safe point :eek: . That's why I call it The Judge!

View attachment 14657View attachment 14658
"The Judge". That's great. Anywhere here read Cormac Mccarthy - "Blood Meridian"?

Lots of non-weber grills used to have wood handles on the side. From what I recall, they were in direct contact with the aluminum lids.

7119742_0.jpg

Btw, I find the lid doesn't actually get that hot. Using an IR gun, the lid was around 300F when the lid thermometer read around 550F, and the grate was around 650F

Anyway, I still think silicone washers can be used. They are cheap and also heat resistant.
I had that sunbeam. I got it as a wedding present in 1988 and it lasted 20 years and was still going when I gave it away after finding my first Weber on the curb. It used to use lava rocks. Top and bottom where cast aluminum. Great grill.

Back