Rehab grill candidates

Bruce

TVWBB 2-Star Olympian
I was thinking that if a lot of people get a new grill for Christmas, they might be pushing that old tired Genesis out to the curb over the next few days. Once the SmokeFire starts getting delivered, the same thing might happen. Other than that, there is nothing happening with rehab pickups in the Midwest until about April.

I was thinking similarly, but I have passed on several decent candidates already. For us this cooler time of year is prime for grilling. I am going to be watching after Christmas (and post SmokeFire release), but right now my inventory is full anyway.

Merry Christmas everyone!

How's this for a rehab. A little over a year ago I sold a deep box genesis 1000 to a guy here in town and yesterday he called me and said he liked the Weber so much he decided to get a new one for Christmas. He doesn't have room on his small patio for two grills so he said if I would come and get the one I sold him I could have it for free.
Even Barb who wants us to downsize said go get it. I'll park it till spring and sell it again with the others I'll be getting rid of.
Merry Christmas to me and to all our friends on the forum.;)

Maybe. But maybe not. My brother thinks our father's restored Genesis 1000 is "kind of cool " but its obvious he prefers his newer all stainless Genesis. 3 years in his Genesis is holding up great. I like them both but prefer mine.

I don't think Weber makes an ALL SS Genesis grill. But is your father's gill an enclosed cabinet grill? You would be hard pressed to find a Genesis cabinet grill, SS or other wise up in my neck of the wood that is 5 years old or older that didn't have significant rust. I have no problem with any Genesis grill, from the 1-5 series all the way up to the Genesis II grills of today except for rust on the frames of those that are cabinet style.

Bruce my father's old grill is the open cart. It's probably 25 years old? I think all the old 1000's were on cart weren't they? I think some of the higher priced models from that era had an enclosed cabinet but not the 1000's. I could be wrong though.

You are right about my brother's grill. It isn't ALL stainless. But the hood, side shelves, flavorizors and grates are stainless. The enclosed cabinet is not. So far it's holding up with well. No rust at all.

Yah, its those side and bottom panels they put on the "stainless steel" grills that are the Achilles heel. It is great that your brother's grill is holding strong. Does he keep it in the garage?

Yah, that helps a lot. I think vinyl covers on those grills are an invitation for problems. They trap more moisture in than they keep out.

If you have to leave it outside without overhead cover, they you probably should put a grill cover on it. But, any time it inside the garage or under overhead cover, I would not have a grill cover on it. If you leave it outside with a cover though, during the summer, you can go out and pull the cover off in the morning after one of those hot humid evenings and find a ton of moisture inside all over the grill and inside the cover from condensation. That is happening almost every night during those sunny hot days and humid nights. I think the only good covers were the older Weber ones that had the long screen vents on them that truly allowed air to circulate.

Maybe. But maybe not. My brother thinks our father's restored Genesis 1000 is "kind of cool " but its obvious he prefers his newer all stainless Genesis. 3 years in his Genesis is holding up great. I like them both but prefer mine.

These old ones are getting hard to sell. I have a fully restored black Genesis 700/Silver B posted for sale since weeks. Lots of new parts. But no interest so far. Not even low ball offers. People want the newer shinier SS grills with modern looks, lighted knobs, electric ignition, .... The old Weber grills are solid workhorses but totally outdated in regards to design.

These old ones are getting hard to sell. I have a fully restored black Genesis 700/Silver B posted for sale since weeks. Lots of new parts. But no interest so far. Not even low ball offers. People want the newer shinier SS grills with modern looks, lighted knobs, electric ignition, .... The old Weber grills are solid workhorses but totally outdated in regards to design.

I enjoy fixing up old grills, but having to deal with selling them would be one of my least favorite things to do

So far, selling them hasn't been too much of a problem for me. I have had a few linger longer than I liked or I had to take a bit less than I wanted, but not so bad. But, yes, I agree, the design just keeps getting more outdated and the generation that grew up with them and is familiar with them is just getting older and exiting the grill market. I would say the average age of my buyers is 50 plus.

Back