Refurbing Red Weber 1000 to flip. How far should I go?

Respectfully, Dave, I cannot do that. I do not have the time. I price many of these items on Ebay and Amazon and buy where they are cheapest, aftermarket if necessary.
I refurbished my Silver A Freebie for $49 for everything it needed. $22 for burners, $16 for a new grease tray and bracket which it only needed because I was keeping it, and $11 for a new igniter.
Sure, if your flip project needed everything, flavorizers, burners, grates, an igniter, and a new grease tray and bracket, you might be pushing $100.

I get your point.

I agree about the end of the season as well.

As with any other market, it is the businessman's responsibility to watch the market and do his research, sell when you can make a profit, and watch the cost of items that go into refurbishment.

No problem Ryan. I guess the point that I was trying to make is that things add up. It's like when you go to a restaurant and you order this, and that, and also that, each item is relatively inexpensive when you look at it, but then you get the total bill at the end and say "Wow, how did it get that high?" I've been the same way on some grills. You look at it and say, "oh, I just need to replace this, that and the other" thinking that each part is cheap enough. Then you total it all up and again, you find yourself saying "wow, I spent that much".

FWIW, I was looking at a three burner tube set and burner tubes are one of the cheapest "consumables" to replace.

A new 3-burner grease tray for a Genesis Silver/Gold is ~$50 these days, btw. Costs could add up in a hurry. While most grills can be saved, some are best for parts so that other grills could live.

On a tangental note, I've only had to replace all of the burners twice out of 20+ grills I've rehabbed and sold. A burner or two have been replaced with spare ones along the way, but very rarely all 3+crossover tube for a single grill.

On a tangental note, I've only had to replace all of the burners twice out of 20+ grills I've rehabbed and sold. A burner or two have been replaced with spare ones along the way, but very rarely all 3+crossover tube for a single grill.

I wholeheartedly agree-

I have two sets of late 80s early 90s Genesis Burner tubes that I keep on hand just in case I need one or two tubes.
The Skyline that I just sold I just cleaned them up and they were good as new. I am currently working on a 1988 Vintage Weber, same thing, they are fine.

The difference between these and the newer Weber tubes offerings? All three old sets are non-magnetic. The newer Weber tubes are magnetic.

Jeff

However I wonder about the warranty which is not transferable from the original buyer. Unless they hand the buyer their original purchase receipt which then also shows what they actually paid the buyer may not be eligible for any warranty claims.

Warranty is not likely an issue. As long as the original buyer did not register it.

Warranty is not likely an issue. As long as the original buyer did not register it.

I don't agree with the warranty without a receipt if it was not registered but I don't know that for a fact however I did over a performer had the plastic table was cracked. I registered it online, then emailed Weber telling them the table was cracked they responded did I have a receipt I did not of course they replied they would replace it with the new metal table which is far better however they said it was not a warranty replacement but it was a courtesy give them credit sent me the new table did not even charge me for shipping.

I think it might be hit or miss the plastic tables on the performer cracking was a known issue maybe that is why they did it. Not sure they treat the gasser's any differently.

Let me add I had multiple grills registered with them maybe that helped.

Last edited:
I don't agree with the warranty without a receipt if it was not registered but I don't know that for a fact however I did over a performer had the plastic table was cracked. I registered it online, then emailed Weber telling them the table was cracked they responded did I have a receipt I did not of course they replied they would replace it with the new metal table which is far better however they said it was not a warranty replacement but it was a courtesy give them credit sent me the new table did not even charge me for shipping.

I think it might be hit or miss the plastic tables on the performer cracking was a known issue maybe that is why they did it. Not sure they treat the gasser's any differently.

Let me add I had multiple grills registered with them maybe that helped.

I was wondering if Weber would ask for a receipt although it was registered.

Weber doesn't ask for a reciept. If it registered to you on their web site, then that is all they need. I registered a Silver B last year when I first started doing grills. It had the oxidation on the hood and I contacted Weber about a way to fix it. They asked for a photo which I sent, the next message said a new hood was on it's way. I never asked about warranty or replacement.

If you go on Weber.com and try to register a grill, it won't let you register it if it already registered under another name.

Bruce, I did register the Performer on the website beforehand then when they sent me a note I told them about the table. I also had to send pictures and they did ask me if I had a receipt. Maybe its a luck of the draw thing really don't know.

What did you put down for the purchase date and store? If you listed "second hand" or something like that and a recent purchase date then they probably will rule it out for that reason and asking for a receipt is an easy way to not have to ask about where and when you bought it.

When I have registered my second hand grills, I always put down second hand and the real purchase date. I was not trying to be dishonest, but they require you have a grill registered when ordering parts for it, I guess in order to accurately determine what actual parts you really need.

Strangely, that time they sent me a new lid, I had registered that the same way.

Weber doesn't ask for a reciept. If it registered to you on their web site, then that is all they need. I registered a Silver B last year when I first started doing grills. It had the oxidation on the hood and I contacted Weber about a way to fix it. They asked for a photo which I sent, the next message said a new hood was on it's way. I never asked about warranty or replacement.

If you go on Weber.com and try to register a grill, it won't let you register it if it already registered under another name.

Thanks I did not know that. I need to check if I can register some of mine. The problem also is, that on most of the old grills I have the serial number has long faded away from the sticker or the sticker is no longer there.

Dont be afraid to list it during the cold weather for the price you want.

Christmas is coming. Fathers day. Birthdays.

Its all about the marketing!

I am now sitting on 4 grills to clean and rehab. 2 were free redheads! One was $25 and the other was 10.

I've got a line on a skyline to pick up Saturday for $15!

Ed, sounds like you have thing clicking out on the left coast.

I want to see some photos of the Skyline when you pick it up.

I will Message you later for email or phone number

If there was a better way to post pics directly to forum I would.

I just moved back to the sierras.

The Bay Area can be littered at times with free or cheap Weber’s. I’ve picked up and resold 4 performers for a $100 profit each

Since moving I’ve picked up 4 more Genesis 1000. 3 which are redheads. 2 were free!

I’ve got one more to get with a Natural gas manifold. $50. More than I want to spend. But my Genesis with glass doors needs it!

Back