Refilling Disposable Propane cylinders

Brian Thomas

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone here tried this? I know you need to get the adapter and put the empty ones in the freezer for an hour or so, etc. I have 4 empty cylinders so am thinking about refilling these after getting the adapter. Just wanted to know if others here have done this.

Thanks,

From a safety perspective, I would not do it. I do have my refillable tanks refilled but I would never try it myself. My CO2 tanks are also refilled by a service that does that. You are dealing in very high pressures and a very flammable gas. I like living to much to do it myself. When I need propane in small tanks, I just go to HD and buy it. Again, I like living.

refillable tanks have a 10% valve that opens when the tank is 90% full, so you do not over fill the tank. If your tanks do not have that, I would not risk it

I do, just like you posted. I have done it for years and the only problem I have had is sometimes the valve sticks sometimes on the disposable canisters and they leak. If they do, I just let them vent in a open area and then throw them away when they are empty. This has only happened to a couple of canisters. I'm sure a accident could happen if you are not careful, but don't forget, I believe the MAC coupler has been sold for a long time, and I also saw an adapter at Harbor Freight for sale. If you do it yourself, just follow the instructions that come with the adapter completely.

New patented refillable 1# propane cylinders!

Has anyone here tried this? I know you need to get the adapter and put the empty ones in the freezer for an hour or so, etc. I have 4 empty cylinders so am thinking about refilling these after getting the adapter. Just wanted to know if others here have done this.

Hey Brian and Everyone- There is a brand new type of valve available for the camper size one pound propane cylinder that makes it legally refillable. The cylinders are certified for 12 years just like your 20# BBQ size. They fill off of any liquid draw type tank like a forklift cylinder. If you are in CA you can get them at all Kamps Propane locations. You can also find complete set ups at www.propane-refill.com . You don't have to do any of that freezer time, upside-down tanks BS. Check them out- I have three I take camping and refill myself.

I have done it many times. I have an adapter just like the one in the walmart link above. Here is how I do it....YMMV:
--Yes, put the canisters in the freezer for an hr or 2
--Also, if possible I place my 20lb tank in the sun so it warms up a bit (to create biggest temp/pressure difference)
--make sure you do this process outside!
--make sure you wear a pair of work gloves or something to protect your hands. I would also wear goggles at a minimum.
--you need to turn the 20lb (or bigger) tank upside down so the knob and tank valve is on bottom. I place my tank upside down on a portable workmate bench (I can open the workbench vice to create a gap so I can reach up from below to access the knob much easier)
--screw the canister on and open the knob to the tank
--I shut the knob on the tank when I don't hear the LP "transferring" anymore

I also don't bother with using the canister vent to get the last little bit in there. Yes it does fill it up more, but I have had the valve stick and it was a pain and they don't reseat. Like a poster above, you have to just let it vent. So I just fill the canisters as far as they go without venting and use them. You have to refill them little more frequently, but it is so easy a process to do it is no big deal to me.

Good luck,
Kg

Question for you guys that do this:

Unless you cannot get 1lb canisters in your area on a regular basis, is it worth the time effort and safety issues to do it?

In my area 20 lb tanks exchanges or fills work out to approx +/- $1-1.25/lb

The Cylinders are about $3/lb at walmart home depot you name it

As the prior post indicates, there's a bit of work involved. Is the time and effort worth Saving $2.00?

If you're going through a lot of disposables, would a conversion hose be an easier solution:

weber-propane-hose-w-tp_5833422489269467242f.jpg

Again, If you live in an area where the disposables arent available, i get it, but if you have access to them it seems like there are better/easier solutions.

I ditched my 1 pound (expensive and leaky) tanks and bought a small 10 pound tank and a propane tree with a hose to run my camping stove and lantern. One refill of the tank lasts a long time and no more leaky little tanks.

59dd9b0b-a177-4359-89fe-7c00fb751ae8_zpseugxuxuk.jpg

Question for you guys that do this:

Unless you cannot get 1lb canisters in your area on a regular basis, is it worth the time effort and safety issues to do it?

In my area 20 lb tanks exchanges or fills work out to approx +/- $1-1.25/lb

The Cylinders are about $3/lb at walmart home depot you name it

As the prior post indicates, there's a bit of work involved. Is the time and effort worth Saving $2.00?

If you're going through a lot of disposables, would a conversion hose be an easier solution:

Again, If you live in an area where the disposables arent available, i get it, but if you have access to them it seems like there are better/easier solutions.

The amount of effort is minimal: screw adapter onto tank, turn tank upside down, screw canister onto adapter, open valve of tank, let it fill, close valve, remove canister. you are talking about 5 min of effort really...10 min tops. That is not a lot of effort.

I use these canisters for my Performer, my WSM torch, and my portable propane lantern. I could attach a bigger 10lb tank to my performer with a hose, but I move my performer from my deck to my culdesac (for cookouts) at least once per month during late spring to fall. Plus I store a lot of stuff on my rack on my performer so I don't have the extra room for a tank. The torch uses a lot of propane, but using these 1lb canisters is very handy since it is so light....don't have to lug a 20lb tank down to my smoker to light it.

I go through these many of these canisters a year so there is a bit of savings. Plus it saves me from going to stores (which I don't like...Amazon is my best friend). Also throwing out all those canisters would put me in dog house with the wife.

Everyone has their own needs and this works for me. I have 4 canisters and when 2 or 3 get empty then I fill all of them at once. So the amount of time and effort is minimal. And the safety is minimal IMO as well since you are not doing anything different than what the refilling station does when you take your 20lb tank to get refilled. Gloves are the main item.

Again, everyone is different and has different priorities for what is important for them, so it may not be worth it for them. I am just saying it is not as big of a chore or safety issue as many perceive.

Good luck,
Kg

Last edited:
The amount of effort is minimal: screw adapter onto tank, turn tank upside down, screw canister onto adapter, open valve of tank, let it fill, close valve, remove canister. you are talking about 5 min of effort really...10 min tops. That is not a lot of effort.

I use these canisters for my Performer, my WSM torch, and my portable propane lantern. I could attach a bigger 10lb tank to my performer with a hose, but I move my performer from my deck to my culdesac (for cookouts) at least once per month during late spring to fall. Plus I store a lot of stuff on my rack on my performer so I don't have the extra room for a tank. The torch uses a lot of propane, but using these 1lb canisters is very handy since it is so light....don't have to lug a 20lb tank down to my smoker to light it.

I go through these many of these canisters a year so there is a bit of savings. Plus it saves me from going to stores (which I don't like...Amazon is my best friend). Also throwing out all those canisters would put me in dog house with the wife.

Everyone has their own needs and this works for me. I have 4 canisters and when 2 or 3 get empty then I fill all of them at once. So the amount of time and effort is minimal. And the safety is minimal IMO as well since you are not doing anything different than what the refilling station does when you take your 20lb tank to get refilled. Gloves are the main item.

Again, everyone is different and has different priorities for what is important for them, so it may not be worth it for them. I am just saying it is not as big of a chore or safety issue as many perceive.

Good luck,
Kg

@KeithG do you put the empties in the freezer first? That to me seems like the biggest time constraint, if that step is not needed then the time factor is nominal as you said.

I have adapter hoses and 20# bottles for my two performers. I also have the adapter to fill the small bottles. My performers are pretty much stationary, but if I do have to move them I just unscrew the hose and put a small bottle on.
I have the adapter mostly for my camping stuff lanterns, stove, heaters. I only have four small bottles that I refill which saves some space.
Like some have said you can't fill them completely, but filling a 20# bottle here is under $10 and you can fill a lot of the little guys for a lot less then buying them.

@KeithG do you put the empties in the freezer first? That to me seems like the biggest time constraint, if that step is not needed then the time factor is nominal as you said.

Yes, if you want to put the canisters in the freezer, then you need to do this before you fill them. But you don't need to put them in the freezer to do this. I have many times just filled them without putting in freezer. They will fill fine, but you won't get as much transferred. It is not that huge of a difference though. If I think of it, what I usually do is just throw them in the freezer the night before or that morning when I get up. Then the next day (or later that day) when I get time I just pull them out and fill them. You are not going to hurt the canisters leaving them in the freezer for a day or 2. Also, if I think of it, I will put the 20lb tank in the sun (if it is a hot day) while I do other things for an hr or two. But again, that is not needed either and most of the time I don't remember to do the sun thing.

I have an extra 20lb tank that a friend gave me so I just leave the adapter on that tank all the time so it is ready to go. It is about a 10 min job to fill 3 canisters with no tools needed.

Good luck,
Kg

Back