Redneck Cuban Sandwich

Dan Krause

TVWBB Fan
I decided to make my redneck Cuban sandwiches for dinner tonight. Instead of ham and pork tenderloin; I used ham and smoked pulled pork.
I started off with a baby pork butt (4.5 lbs.) from our local Bi-Lo. I seasoned it with my house rub plus a little extra sugar.
IMAG0428.jpg

I smoked on the WSM with a little bit of pecan and apple wood. Why these woods? Because it was what was lying around. The meat was smoked around 250F for 6 hours straight. No peaking, no foiling, just let it go for whole 6 hours. This was what I ended up with:
IMAG0431.jpg

After resting in foil for about 30 minutes, my wife pulled the meat for me. I know I am a very lucky man. Then I begin to assemble my sandwiches on fresh tortas from the local Mexican bakery.
IMAG0432.jpg

IMAG0433.jpg

IMAG0434.jpg

The whole sandwich get cooked in a panini press and served with a pineapple, avocado, and red onion salad.
IMAG0435.jpg

All in all it was very tasty. My guest for the night was licking the plate before I finished making my own sandwich. I took that as a sign it was good.

Thanks for all the great comments.

One thing that surprised me is how much I liked the baby sized pork butt. It took no trimming on my part. Cooked pretty quickly for BBQ. Best of all it was just the right amount. I ended up with enough left-overs for lunch for me and the wife. This means I can cook butt more often and try out a variety of cooking experiments.

Excellent looking pic's and cook Dan! You mean that your Wife did not make the sammie and bring it to you along with a Cold Beer? Hmmm, that does not compute.
icon_biggrin.gif

I had a Cuban for the first time 3 months ago. I had kinda forgotten about it til now!!!! Cant Stop Drooling! Looks Great!

Back