Red Head Rehab

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob R

TVWBB Member
So my neighbor recently pick up a nice Red head Performer Charcoal. It was in nice shape for being 15yrs old but needed cleaning and had some rust on the frame. I asked if I could do a rehab on it and below are the results. Hope you like, he does.
icon_smile.gif

Before

P1030641.JPG

P1030641.JPG
P1030642.JPG
P1030643.JPG
P1030645.JPG

P1030644.JPG
P1030646.JPG
P1030647.JPG
P1030648.JPG

P1030662.JPG
P1030653.JPG

After

P1030664.JPG
P1030665.JPG
P1030666.JPG
P1030669.JPG

P1030673.JPG
P1030676.JPG
P1030677.JPG
P1030679.JPG

P1030678

P1030664.JPG

Sorry if this is too long, the rest of the pics are here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1...v1sRgCPj7sMGc6uKonQE

Thanks for looking

Beautiful job Rob! It's amazing to me that people even get rid of these. They clean up so nicely. It looks almost new!
icon_smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by george curtis:
great unit, great job and great neighbor(you). !! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Ya, what he said.

Nice job, Rob. What did you use for the grease on the bttom, outside of the bowl? I am asking as I have an 18 year old red head with a bottom that looks much the same. A bit cleaner but there's still some grease.

Thanks.

Thanks all, we do a lot of grilling. Between the two of us we have around 14 Webers. I had fun doing this one. I did the same thing to a 2004 Performer G.A. I picked up last fall (just didn't take the before and after pics).
@Roger - I used a Grill de-greaser and cleaner (can't remember the name of it) Sprayed it on then used a scrub brush with soap and water to get the majority of it off. Then with the caked on stuff I used 0000 steel wool and some water.
Now on to the next find
icon_smile.gif

Great job!!

I picked up a Red Performer recently and am trying to repaint it. Mine had some rust on the bowl and will need some replacement parts. Did you have to replace the bar that holds the ash catcher in place? I need a new one, but I guess I could wire it in place if necessary.

Have fun with your (neighbor's) new cooker!

First,
Let me welcome you to TB, The bars are not available from Weber any longer (George Curtis makes them) but you can attach the ring a couple of ways without it. The easiest method is probably the Mike Parnell way. Another way is somewhat more involved, but doable if you handy. My method.Be sure to keep us informed (with Pics, CZ we like Pics) on your progress.

I was actually surprised with the bar on this one. I had seen many on here looking for replacements so I was worried. Once I got the 2" of build-up off it, it was in perfect shape. I sanded it down and put some high heat paint on it. Hopefully it will last for another 15 years
icon_smile.gif

I started a different thread for my project since I did not want to hijack this one... can't figure out how to post pics though...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by ashish debroy:
I started a different thread for my project since I did not want to hijack this one... can't figure out how to post pics though... </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I started useing Picasa after reading the how to's from Charlse Howse.Link here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back