Red Head Genesis Rehab

Taking the Genesis 3 red lid and putting it on the Genesis 3000 Ralph’s end caps. I noticed the end caps on the Ralph’s lids have the slots for the warming rack. The 85 Genesis 3 end caps doesn’t?
That's the swing basket. I have yet to use mine.
Warming rack replacements. Which are best?
I like this one. It's about 3/16" too long out of the box, but I clamped it between a couple of blocks of wood and bent each end inward to fit snugly between the sidewalls. Note that it is plated steel and they aren't very long-lived but I have yet to find a SS version. I like that it is elevated and gives more room underneath. It works well for baking potatoes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ7X250/?tag=tvwb-20

Attachments

• 20200921_111339.jpg
    20200921_111339.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 13
I accidentally broke the lever from the tank scale. Was too rusty. Can this be replaced? I only see the new tank scale #99243.

Also do you guys always replace the burner tubes? This is how they look. They did work before dismantling.

Attachments

• F85B98AA-F509-4923-98E2-C3B0B9EF55F4.jpeg
    F85B98AA-F509-4923-98E2-C3B0B9EF55F4.jpeg
    113.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 6E027D72-A163-4D30-91C7-4B59B27DF6BE.jpeg
    6E027D72-A163-4D30-91C7-4B59B27DF6BE.jpeg
    146.7 KB · Views: 18
Also do you guys always replace the burner tubes? This is how they look. They did work before dismantling.
Weber parts are engineered. Aftermarket parts are reverse-engineered from Weber's, and are modified to avoid copyright infringement. Most people don't care and use replacement burners, but if you compare them side by side you can see the difference. If you don't need to change them, and this isn't a flip grill where appearances are critical, I would clean up and re-use the originals.

I accidentally broke the lever from the tank scale. Was too rusty. Can this be replaced? I only see the new tank scale #99243.

To add to Ed's comment - When I re-use the burner tubes I usually install a new cross burner tube

That's the swing basket. I have yet to use mine.

I like this one. It's about 3/16" too long out of the box, but I clamped it between a couple of blocks of wood and bent each end inward to fit snugly between the sidewalls. Note that it is plated steel and they aren't very long-lived but I have yet to find a SS version. I like that it is elevated and gives more room underneath. It works well for baking potatoes.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MQ7X250/?tag=tvwb-20

There we go! Swing basket. Really neat little basket -- must have for this project. I'm glad one of the two grills had the end caps that accept the basket.

Thank you for the link for the warming rack.

Weber parts are engineered. Aftermarket parts are reverse-engineered from Weber's, and are modified to avoid copyright infringement. Most people don't care and use replacement burners, but if you compare them side by side you can see the difference. If you don't need to change them, and this isn't a flip grill where appearances are critical, I would clean up and re-use the originals.

Perfect. I'll reuse these then as I didn't see anything wrong with them

Don't be so hung up on bristles. Buy a Libman brush. I have NEVER had a bristle come out or break off one. I have had issues with Weber brushes though. Actually any brush where the bristles are set into a wooden head. Libmans are made differently. They flat work

To add to Ed's comment - When I re-use the burner tubes I usually install a new cross burner tube
Those tubes lead a hard life. They are always lit whenever the grill is on and have such a small mass to radiate heat, but the cross burner tube alone costs about as much as an aftermarket burner set.
There we go! Swing basket. Really neat little basket -- must have for this project. I'm glad one of the two grills had the end caps that accept the basket.
Keep them oiled to delay rusting.
Perfect. I'll reuse these then as I didn't see anything wrong with them
They are part of what makes a Weber a Weber.

If you intend to re-use the burners, take care not to damage the black plastic spider guards. They are obsolete. A piece of stainless screen works as a substitute, but if you are careful you may not need to replace them. You can use a toothbrush from the dollar store to brush them clean.

1600719222009.png

Don't be so hung up on bristles. Buy a Libman brush. I have NEVER had a bristle come out or break off one. I have had issues with Weber brushes though. Actually any brush where the bristles are set into a wooden head. Libmans are made differently. They flat work
Here is why LMichaels is so adamant about quality grill brushes...

Those tubes lead a hard life. They are always lit whenever the grill is on and have such a small mass to radiate heat, but the cross burner tube alone costs about as much as an aftermarket burner set.

Keep them oiled to delay rusting.

They are part of what makes a Weber a Weber.

Is this the crossover tube you guys recommend replacing?

Also what's the best cover available for the genesis 3?

I just got an onlyfire rotisserie / pizza combo for a kettle. Rotisserie is a must for this grill. Which do you recommend for this genesis? #9890?
Yep, the 9890 is a great one if you can find one. Weber doesn't make them any more, but they are still available on Ebay, CL and FB MP.

That looks like it could be the one...match it up with your burners and your existing tube. There have been some changes over the years. It matches the one off of my Genesis 3, though.

EDIT: Re-reading what you said, I wouldn't replace it until it needed replacing. It's a wear item, but they seem to wear faster than burners.
EDIT2: The burners seem to erode on the upper side. You can reverse them for longer life (middle burner, maybe/maybe not. They used to be made with gas jets on both sides, but later versions only had the jets on top).

Last edited:

If the Crossover Tube is the only thing worn out you can purchase it separately as Weber part #40822208 which is 13 1/2" long.
If by some chance the tube is 12 3/4" long it is Weber #85865.

Jeff

Last edited:
Yep, my point exactly. For that price, you can buy three or four sets for the price of Weber tubes and just swap them out every few years, even if they are not worn out.

I have to buy 5 or 6 cross burner tubes to get to about $8 a piece. I have plenty of Weber tubes so it works for me. For someone with only 1 grill a set at $14.99 is hard to beat

Back