Recteq Launches A New Pellet Grill

Shane, I did not at all mean to direct anything at you. I completely agree with your assessment. I was only acknowledging that when we talk about build quality in these mid-market pellet grills, that they are not in the same league as your MAK and other high-end, made in USA grills. Like you noted, it is kind of like someone who owns a Weber Genesis babbling on about its build quality to the owner of a FireMagic. So, I was just trying to be realistic about context and in no way trying to say or imply anything negative. I think you made a first-class choice. My Recteq is a great choice for what it is - a good, easy to use pellet grill - but just not really comparable.

With so many players in the pellet grill arena, I think the lines are getting a little blurred. That new Recteq is a sign they are trying to push up market a little. I totally agree they should have bumped up the price and used more 304 stainless, but it is still a notch up. Up to now, I think Recteq has focused more on competition bbqers for their more expensive - and enormous - offerings. Meanwhile, Traeger is also trying to go after more upmarket buyers. Their new Timberline sure has style (to me at least), but I have my doubts how long it will look good. I am still glad they are putting more emphasis on that rather than selling cheap grills at Walmart, etc. which really hurt their reputation. There are so many others that might be described as being in the twilight zone between mid-market and higher end. Smokin Brothers and maybe the offering from Smoke Daddy quickly come to my mind. It is a fun time to watch competition and see how things in this relatively new market play out.

Sometime when you can, post some pictures of that MAK in action!

With the "Again, a Recteq is no MAK", I do feel like that's directed back at me?

Just because I own a MAK doesn't mean I'm trying to compare any of the pellet grills regularly discussed here (SmokeFire, CampChef, RecTec, etc.) to one. It would sort of like comparing a Weber Genesis to a DCS or FireMagic. I did say I might have considered the RecTeq if it was out a year ago. Not because it's comparable with a MAK on construction quality, because it's a nice offering with features I like such as a rear exhaust, enclosed grease collection, stainless grates, etc. I've had numerous pellet grills that cost under $800, many of them were pretty nice smokers.

Targeting a built-in is a new area for RecTeq. I just wondered and shared my questions of if it would have been a better choice to make the barrel/cook box from 304 instead of 430, even if it raised the cost a little. If someone builds an outdoor kitchen around it and it doesn't hold up well, it's probably going to draw more frustration and buyer criticism that a grill on a cart that shows wear early. Sometimes a couple extra bills are justifiable when you can see it in the specs. Maybe it would have cost them way more than that to use 304. Maybe it wouldn't even make much difference at all in durability. Only a couple companies that I've really noticed even seem to make built in pellet grills. Memphis and Coyote do and I think they both start around 3X the price of the new RecTeq. So there was still a lot of room for them to work in the built-in arena and be the best value option.
“With the "Again, a Recteq is no MAK", I do feel like that's directed back at me?”

Seems like he might just be giving MAK the respect it deserves for their build quality. Or at least that’s the way I read it.

Pulled this old thread back up rather than starting a new one. I thought I would report that my Recteq RT-700 finally let me down when the igniter rod failed. I guess after 4 years, that's not bad.

It was my first time to ever personally call Recteq customer support. All I can say is that they treated me first class and incredibly friendly, confirming their reputation. A new ceramic igniter has arrived, and I will be replacing very soon. I will report on how that goes.

Pulled this old thread back up rather than starting a new one. I thought I would report that my Recteq RT-700 finally let me down when the igniter rod failed. I guess after 4 years, that's not bad.

It was my first time to ever personally call Recteq customer support. All I can say is that they treated me first class and incredibly friendly, confirming their reputation. A new ceramic igniter has arrived, and I will be replacing very soon. I will report on how that goes.
Great update!
Glad their CS took care of you.

I had the same quality service from them when I had the RT-300. Top notch.

I agree, too! I called when I received my RT-700 a couple years ago because the pull bar handle was missing. When no one answered I hung up without leaving a message, thinking I'd just shoot them an email but they called me back a couple minutes later.

I know where there is at least one EX6 for $899 including local delivery and setup. I think they have an EX4 for $699
Yesterday I Dropped by a local Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealership which has the EX6 for $2000, EX4 $1600 and the Weber Kamado without the Table for $1600. Ouch!

However, thinking it over the Weber Kamado will last the rest of my lifetime but not so sure of the how long the Weber Smokefires will last. Another thing to consider in purchasing a Weber Smokefire/or other pellet Grill is that here in "Ticoland" we have power brownouts during the rainy season(May-November) at least once or twice a week. Also, since I am a long-time Weber Kettle Owner there should be a very little learning curve on the Weber Kamado and easy clean-up should be a non-issue.

However, I would like to add that those Weber Smokefires sure tempt the pocketbook as being one-hell-of-a-BBQ-addition to one's BBQ Arsenal.

Last edited:
Yesterday I Dropped by a local Costa Rican Weber Authorized Dealership which has the EX6 for $2000, EX4 $1600 and the Weber Kamado without the Table for $1600. Ouch!

However, thinking it over the Weber Kamado will last the rest of my lifetime but not so sure of the how long the Weber Smokefires will last. Another thing to consider in purchasing a Weber Smokefire/or other pellet Grill is that here in "Ticoland" we have power brownouts during the rainy season(May-November) at least once or twice a week. Also, since I am a long-time Weber Kettle Owner there should be a very little learning curve on the Weber Kamado and easy clean-up should be a non-issue.

However, I would like to add that those Weber Smokefires sure tempt the pocketbook as being one-hell-of-a-BBQ-addition to one's BBQ Arsenal.
Still waiting to find a great deal on the Weber Summit Kettle grill.
Sounds like the perfect grill for your situation!

Back