Really Really Debating On Adding A Performer Deluxe

ChristopherC

TVWBB Super Fan
Have owned a Weber Summit S670 (propane) for 9 years now and just purchased the WSM 18.5" to do some smoking.

Now I am thinking about adding a Performer Deluxe.

Who is gonna convince me NOT to do it?

One of the reasons I am hesitant is we might be moving to another house next year or in 2022. So not sure if I should wait until I am in new headquarters or not. Also part of me wants the Weber Summit Charcoal instead (I always like nice toys).

What is the best complement to the Summit S670 and the WSM 18.5"...if any?

HELP!!

I vote for the performer for two reasons:
1. Since you already have a gas grill and smoker, the performer will serve a dedicated purpose: great for direct and indirect cooks with unmistakable charcoal flavor. It'll do this without doubling down on a feature you already have (your ability to smoke on the WSM 18).
2. The side table: It's really nice to have the workspace. I find myself using it even when I'm not cooking on my performer.

Love my Performer. The gas starter makes starting the charcoal a breeze.

One suggestion, look around at the different color options available. Crate and Barrel sells a very cool Slate Blue one and the price is the same as the other colors. Weber also had a Blue Performer for sale for a couple months earlier this year....not sure if it will come back in stock, but it looked very nice.

Was leaning towards the copper. Looks real nice in pics. Just wondering if it is worth the extra $20 here in Canada for a color. Also wondered if there could be an issue with the colored ones over time.

Love my Performer. The gas starter makes starting the charcoal a breeze.

One suggestion, look around at the different color options available. Crate and Barrel sells a very cool Slate Blue one and the price is the same as the other colors. Weber also had a Blue Performer for sale for a couple months earlier this year....not sure if it will come back in stock, but it looked very nice.

Was leaning towards the copper. Looks real nice in pics. Just wondering if it is worth the extra $20 here in Canada for a color. Also wondered if there could be an issue with the colored ones over time.

I've had many of the different colors. They do show scratches more than the standard black kettle. The base color of all the kettles is black, then they put the color over the top of the black. So if the copper gets scratched, you'll see the black.
If you take good care of your grill, then you'll be fine. Don't over-tighten any of the bolts that go on to the bowl or lid.
If I was buying new, I would not buy black. I just enjoy the colored kettles much more.
Black or colored kettle, try not to bank the charcoal directly on to the side of the bowl. It'll burn through over time. Try to use the charcoal baskets or get something like a Slow n Sear.

Piggy backing off of Kyle, I think getting a new kettle is a great idea. But would opt for the vortex instead of a slow n'sear. I think they work better for searing, and you already have the WSM for smoking.

Don't let the pending move to new HQ get in the way of your grilling and BBQ dreams. Kettles aren't that hard to move, and we only get one go around, let's spend as much time enjoying it as we can!

I'm saying no to the Performer Deluxe.

Your Summit gasser cart already gives you a size-able work table. Your Summit gasser also already gives you a propane starter for charcoal -- put the chimney on the side burner and push the button. So all you need is some version of a regular 22" kettle. Which will do everything the PD will do, but will be cheaper, and also smaller and easier to move around and store.

Get one used off of Craigslist or FB marketplace. If you don't like it or want to upgrade to the PD or Summit Charcoal or 26" kettle, you can sell the kettle next or the year after for about what you paid for it. Or buy a used PD -- which you could also easily sell down the road.

Agree that you don't need to spring for the SNS since you have the WSM. Vortex of Weber charcoal baskets make more sense.

Last edited:
This is my favorite game, spending other people's money!

The move is the deciding factor in my opinion. How far are you moving, cross-town, cross-country? The closer the move, the more likely I would be to pull the trigger now.

As for the grill, you clearly like and can afford the best. Skip the Performer and get the Summit Charcoal Grilling Center (SCGC). Unless your new place will have an outdoor kitchen island, you can never have enough horizontal work space in your grill area. So skip the kettle and the Summit Charcoal Grill. The SCGC is not really redundant of your WSM, though there is some overlap. The WSM is still the best option for long, over night brisket and butt cooks because fuel does not need to be added to a WSM.

I missed the part about you might want a Summit Charcoal. Sounds like you don't have a space issue. The Summit Charcoal is the mack daddy of Weber charcoal grills. If I could afford it, I'd have one of those instead of the Performer.

Love all the opinions.

Space is not currently an issue. We have a 10-acre property. However we just have a 6x6 stone patio and then all grass. Our next home will be smaller but I am hoping to have more of a patio or deck.

it is just hard to justify the $2500 CDN (price of the Summit) vs $579 CDN (price of the Performer Deluxe). The extra $1921 plus the tax on that (13%) would cover a lot of fun accessories and charcoal!

I think many of us lust after the Summit Charcoal, if I could snag one for around $900 used I would do that. Could get rid of the performer and my UDS smoker.

Having said that the Performer is my favorite grill. I like the table and built another rolling table out of a Silver B for the UDS but since my grills are together use the tables on both. I use the gas assist all the time to light my chimney starter for cooks whether its wings on the performer or ribs on the smoker.

Love all the opinions.

Space is not currently an issue. We have a 10-acre property. However we just have a 6x6 stone patio and then all grass. Our next home will be smaller but I am hoping to have more of a patio or deck.

it is just hard to justify the $2500 CDN (price of the Summit) vs $579 CDN (price of the Performer Deluxe). The extra $1921 plus the tax on that (13%) would cover a lot of fun accessories and charcoal!

I can't justify the price of a Summit either, that's why I have two Performers, one on my top deck and the other below the deck on my BBQ patio.
It's such a great grill, best model I've ever owned. I'm partial to the older stainless steel table gen performer, but the new gen are nice too.

Is buying used an option? It's a lot of fun being on the hunt for a bargain, and if you can't take it with you, or if it just doesn't work out for you, you can sell it to recoup most or all of your money...but to me, it's the thrill of the hunt and the luck of the draw.

EDIT: And look what I just found!

1597091631097.png

Last edited:
I agree THE HUNT, the restoration and personalization, has got me hooked for a newbie! Picked up the Blue Performer for $30!!!

Attachments

• 20200810_161958.jpg
    20200810_161958.jpg
    211.9 KB · Views: 14
Dude. Buy the Performer and don’t give it another thought. Life is too short. You won’t regret it and it’s fairly small pennies.

Back