Real BBQ smokies

Brandon A

TVWBB All-Star
After having mediocre smokies a few times this holiday season I got to thinking...

The plan for the day is to try some "real" bbq smokies. I bought 3 packages of lil smokies, going to put them on for an hour or so at 225. I got some Jack Daniels wood chips for christmas that will be used for smoke. Get some real smoke on them and then make up a batch of number 5 sauce and throw them in the crock pot.

Anyone tried this before?

What a coincidence. I got JD chips for Christmas and I made ABT's for New Years. I didn't have any leftover pulled pork so I used Lil'Smokies and have 1/2 a package left to get rid of...

Can't wait to hear how they turn out. I may have to try this on a smaller scale on the kettle
icon_smile.gif

Your temp, 225, may be a bit low for the way we like to make them:
Wrap each smokie with a small piece of bacon, sprinkle with brown sugar, and then some fresh ground black pepper.
I'm sure red pepper flakes would be good also, or no pepper for a milder version.

They just went on the smoker. Three packs didnt fit in one layer on the pizza pan I used to keep them from falling through the grates, so I'll have to do some stirring/rotating.

Bob, your recipe is a little different, sounds like your going for a crisper version without adding to sauce at the end...The reason for keeping the temp low is to get a lot of smoke on them without over cooking them, since they are precooked anyway. I'll give one a taste test at about an hour and see if I want to crank the heat up for a while though.

The wife is picking up a bottle of cognac for my modified version of the number 5 sauce.
icon_smile.gif
Got a cryo of butts waiting in the fridge for tonight, its going to be a good day even though it is 15 below!

Ok, got them all loaded up in the crock pot, its going to be a good day for snacking.

If I were to change anything, I'd have gotten smokies without cheese in the middle, but the grocery store was wiped out and thats all they had. Some of the cheese leaked out and burned....oh what am I saying, I ate those ones first
icon_wink.gif
They got a little smoke flavor and the sauce came out really nice. I would have liked a bit more smoke, but I dont think we'll have any problem polishing these babies off.

The modified #5 sauce I used

2 cups ketchup
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup cider vinegar
1 T Worcestershire
1 T Allepo pepper in place of the rub
about 1/4 cup diced onion
3-4 T cognac
Many twists off the 4 peppercorn grinder

Steves original #5 recipe can be found here.

I'm about 6 hours west of you, better get a move on they're going fast! Hey, then you could crack some beers with me and help me get the pork butts going tonight!

I could be there in 15-18 hrs, just enough time to help you pull the butts and finish those beers.
icon_smile.gif

Sounds good to me Bud. I always do a sweet and sour sauce with pineapple, peppers and onions for them, but your recipe sounds mighty fine. Any pics?

awww man, Bryan, thats what they were missing was some pineapple! Still they beat the heck out of dumping some store bought bbq sauce in the crock with precooked weiners...so anticlimactic.

There wasnt much to see picture wise so I didnt bother.

Back