Read Any Good Books Lately?

Joan

TVWBB Hall of Fame
Thought we needed a thread for books other than cooking ones. Would love to hear what you all are reading these days. Other than you know what, it is one of the best ways to entertain oneself. lol

A few of my favorites (I like flying/military biographies):
Chuck Yeager's biography is one of the best - he has had a charmed life! Bob Hoover's Bio is another good one.
Feet wet: reflections of a carrier pilot, by Paul Gillcrest. Started with the f6f hellcat all the way through to the f14 tomcat.
Chickenhawk by Robert Mason: personal bio of the helicopter war in Vietnam.

If you like action novels, you can't go wrong with any of the Jack Reacher books.

Reading a book by James Patterson and former president Bill Clinton called The president Is Missing.
It's a couple years old, but I'm really enjoying it!
And, I'm glad that I have an e-reader.
The libraries are closed!
E-books rock!

bumping. Why? Trying to keep my posts away from you know what post. All three right there by it.

I'm a sf/fantasy nerd. I'm reading a novella by Brian McClellan who wrote a series of Flintlock fantasy books. This one is more of an Urban Fantasy mystery which isn't really my cup of tea but I'm enjoying it.

A customer of mine wrote a book called Greslet, by J R Cole.
I actually bought it while waiting for him to sign the delivery paperwork!
There is a mind blowing twist in it that I didn't see coming!

Just finished "Spearhead" by Adam Macos. It follows ww2 Sherman & Panther tank crews + plus some "doughs" (infantry) through the battle at the cathedral of Cologne & beyond.
One of better books I've read in a long time.

I am now reading the 2nd book in the "Walt Longmire" series by Craig Johnson. So far I am enjoying them. It is hard not to imagine the TV characters when reading the book, but they do seem to blend in together nicely. lol

I recently finished the autobiography of Calvin Coolidge. It was a recommend and I liked it. Your local library probably has a copy. Mine did not so I checked it out from archive.org.

I also read (for not the first time) “A Lonely Kind of War”, by Harrison. It’s a highly regarded first person narrative about the experiences of a forward air controller in Vietnam Nam that flew the OV-10. It’s filled with action from the first paragraph.

If you like Vietnam Nam stories, check out “The 13th Valley” by Del Vechio, “A work that has served as a literary cornerstone for the Vietnam generation”. It is said to a most realistic portrayal. Check the many reviews. I’ve read it several times over the years.

Currently, it’s “Arguing with Zombies” by Paul Krugman (Keynesian economist). It’s a collection of some of his writings in the NYT. I’d say unless you are interested in economics and the politics thereof, you might let this one go.

You can’t go wrong with “The Killer Angels” by Shaara. Historical fiction about the battle of Gettysburg. It was awarded the Pulitzer Prize for fiction in 1975.

one of the most absorbing books i've read is John Krakauer's Into Thin Air.....about an Everest disaster.....you can't put it down.
Good one. Here's one about K2 - The Summit: How Triumph Turned To Tragedy On K2's Deadliest Days

Here's another one about human endurance - Adrift: 76 Days Lost at Sea by S. Callahan. He survived for 76 days adrift on the Atlantic Ocean in a life raft. NYT best seller list.

I am now reading the 2nd book in the "Walt Longmire" series by Craig Johnson. So far I am enjoying them. It is hard not to imagine the TV characters when reading the book, but they do seem to blend in together nicely. lol
At the same time, I was reading "The Chiefs" by Stuart Woods. His first novel, published in 1981. "The novel takes place in the fictional town of Delano, Georgia, over three generations, as three different police chiefs attempt to identify a serial killer operating in the area. As the author explains in a note, it was inspired by the story of his grandfather's death while serving as a police chief." It was made into a CBS miniseries in 1983.
It was a pretty thick book, but I was sorry to see it end. I enjoyed it very much.

I am now reading "The Emperors of Chocolate-Inside the Secret World of Hershey & Mars" - pub. 1999-by Joel Glenn Brenner. I am finding it very fascinating, so far.

Back