Re- why weber recommends not using lump charcoal. Is this a contradiction?

PaulG

TVWBB Fan
I am reading from Weber's Smoke - A guide to smoke for everyone and any grill. By Jamie Purviance. On page 20 How to smoke on a Water Smoker. (Pictures showing the WSM). Number - 2 - in the instructions reads as follows ( I quote "As soon as the briquettes are covered with gray ash (or once the lump charcoal is lit around all edges). carefully pour the lit charcoal over the unlit charcoal, spreading it out evenly. Over time the unlit charcoal will burn and extend the life of the fire." Now is that a contradiction to what Weber states or what? Folks if you want to use it, thats a choice that needs to be made. A lot of us have and a lot of has not used lump charcoal. That said, is it not a preference of your choice?

Like many have said before, the first that the manual should say is "Step 1: Light this manual and stick it in your first chimney of lump charcoal and enjoy"! I like most on here use both fuels. I prefer lump myself.

It does contradict the owner's manual, but Jamie Purviance probably has the freedom to go beyond the owner's manual when writing these cookbooks for Weber. (And he leads with briquettes and offers lump almost as an afterthought, in parentheses.)

Back