Rare Weber yellow Ranger on eBay

I never understood the point of collecting stuff. I will admit that I did collect retro video game systems & games for a period of time but I got out of it. Was able to sell most of it for good money. I did collect stamps at the behest of my grandfather when I was a kid. Did it for a year or two. Recently I was looking up the value of the stamps to learn that most were not worth more than the face value. An example is this plate block of $5 stamps. Face value is $20. On Ebay, the most recent listing sold for $15 and change.

I took all of the $.10 and up stamps to put them to use as postage in our household. It will take a long time to use them up because we don't mail much anymore.

Those are good points, but I confess I am a hopeless collector. I just really enjoy searching out items to "complete a set." I have a lot of varied interests which makes it even worse. I have a collection of toy submarines from when I grew up in the 1960s and a more serious collection of Remco Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea toys. I have coins collected back when I was a kid with a few adult additions here and there.

My wildest collection is of cameras from the Kennedy assassination. I have a real example of most all of the cameras that played a part in this web of intrigue & misinformation. Some were pretty hard to track down in the exact color and style of the ones from that event. I even have a Russian camera exactly like Lee Harvey Oswald had and a dead ringer for the cheap Imperial Reflex camera which was allegedly used to take the famous "backyard" photos of Oswald dressed in black and brandishing his rifle, pistol and a communist newspaper. I doubt I could get back what I paid for these cameras. My efforts to turn my submarine toy hobby into a money maker were also a flop, so now along with grill parts galore I also have boxes of toy submarine parts:eek:! I don't ever seem to learn and give my wife endless ammunition to shoot me down with:(!

I started trolling the Weber Kettle Club site for a while and was starting to get sucked into that craze. I had found a couple older kettles for next to nothing and soon visions of a collection of special colors started appearing in my dreams. As I said previously, though, this is no longer just a fun collector thing. It has gotten very serious, border-lining on fanatical for some people. I think I will be grateful for the few special kettles I have and call it a day. I don't have safe dry storage space for a bunch of kettles I couldn't possibly all use anyway.

I am interested in doing some Q's in unique colors and seeing if there is a market for them. Weber has the gaudy colors (purple, pink) pretty much covered, but I am looking at more subtle ones like the Pontiac Blue posted in the Q section.

Last edited:

Back