Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

The Geminid meteor shower awes sky watchers around the world every December—but this year promises a particularly spectacular show as the meteors streak across an exceptionally dark sky.

The Geminids will peak when the moon is just 1% full, leaving the night sky much less illuminated. Last year, light from a bright moon washed out many of the meteors.

Johnson, along with a crew of others, operated in Minneapolis for at least a year during 2021 and 2022. In and around bars at night, he would befriend young people, slyly learn their passcodes and take their phones. Using that code, he’d lock victims out of their Apple accounts and loot thousands of dollars from their bank apps. Finally, he’d sell the phones themselves.

It was an elaborate, opportunistic scheme that exploited the Apple ecosystem and targeted trusting iPhone owners who figured a stolen phone was just a stolen phone.

So, my last Uber rider this morning left her house key in Pammi’s car
She called me on the app and asked if I had it, which I did
I just met her across the street to give her the key back
She gave me a $10 cash tip on top of the $5 tip on the Uber app!
Nice!

What if the best way to treat your chronic back pain is by retraining your brain?

That’s the premise of a novel approach to chronic pain. Many people feel pain even after a physical injury has healed or when doctors can’t find a physical cause. The approach, called “pain reprocessing therapy,” tries to train the brain not to send false pain signals. Some early results are promising.

In a study published last year in JAMA Psychiatry, 66% of a group of people who did the therapy for a month were pain-free or nearly pain-free up to a year later.
The treatment is still largely in the research stages and typically not covered by insurance, but is being performed in a growing number of centers, including the VA Eastern Colorado Health Care System, which plans to start two clinical trials of the technique next year.

“I feel like I have to do this,” said Kiani. “If I can change the most powerful company in the world from continuing to act badly, that’ll have more impact on the world than anything else I’m doing.”

New years eve, we're in bed & asleep before 10. About 11:20 the fireworks start. We have a new Beagle that we don't know how she's going to handle the noise. She's flinching every once in a while when a loud one bangs nearby, kinda waking me up. We'll at 11:50 the fireworks really get going. All of the sudden, our kooky neighbor is outside screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs at the fireworks... & that set the Beagle off, running around squealing, crying, shaking. I turned to my better half, sighed & wished her "Happy new year". That's how I started 2024...

New years eve, we're in bed & asleep before 10. About 11:20 the fireworks start. We have a new Beagle that we don't know how she's going to handle the noise. She's flinching every once in a while when a loud one bangs nearby, kinda waking me up. We'll at 11:50 the fireworks really get going. All of the sudden, our kooky neighbor is outside screaming bloody murder at the top of her lungs at the fireworks... & that set the Beagle off, running around squealing, crying, shaking. I turned to my better half, sighed & wished her "Happy new year". That's how I started 2024...
Was it the neighbor setting the works off? Or was the neighbor upset with them as well? I was so beat up after the previous night being up til nearly 5 with a sick 2.5 yo little girl. That I guess my neighbors could have been setting off nuclear blasts without me noticing

One of our senior dachshunds had serious issues with fireworks and thunderstorms
I’ve stayed up late with her many Fourth Of July’s and NYE’s with her shivering and crying over the noise of fireworks
We used to give her a half a Benadryl about an hour before they started, but that only helped somewhat
We also got her a thundershirt and that actually worked better. We’d put it on her about an hour befor the fireworks began. I guess it’s like a warm whole body hug!
She’s 15 or 16 now and pretty deaf, so they don’t bother her at all any more!

Melatonin, which begins to rise about three hours before we go to bed, also tells the pancreas to cut back on insulin production. If we have a sugar spike after eating late, our body has a harder time regulating blood sugar, Panda says. This could put us at risk of diabetes and other metabolic disorders. For that reason, he says the ideal dinnertime is three to four hours before bed.

What we eat for dinner matters, too. Slower-digesting food like meat keeps us full longer.

“Only in the last hundred years have we seen easily digestible, highly processed food,” Panda says, explaining that nearly 70% of the calories we eat now come from carbohydrates.

So, my dogs are crazy
They sleep with us, and I tuck them in under their own blanket at the foot of the bed each night
Only to have them come out from under the covers and wake me up with their shivering because they're cold!
#pupsickles

After decades of trying, consumer electronics companies are rolling out a solar technology that mimics photosynthesis in plants. It lets devices charge indoors and, in some cases, can eliminate batteries entirely.

This new light-harvesting tech is fundamentally different from the crystalline silicon-based panels on rooftops and in solar farms, and also from the amorphous silicon cells on the kind of solar-powered calculators that were once ubiquitous. This new tech is based on principles first explored by chemists in the 1960s and turned into workable solar cells in the 1980s. It’s taken until now for versions of these cells tough enough for consumer applications to be manufactured on the scale required for mainstream adoption.

Now, companies including Ambient Photonics and Exeger are offering solar cells of this kind, known as a “dye-sensitized solar cell.” They are lightweight, bendable, made from common materials, and can be manufactured cheaply, in a type of printing process. Sharp is also working on dye-sensitized solar cells, although its version is rigid, and made with the same equipment used to make LCD panels.

So I suddenly had an idea - put all the extra vitamins and minerals in Lucky Charms into the marshmallows to con the kids that think they are slick by only eating the marshmallows.

Back