Random thoughts/Off topic/Last post wins

Does anyone else here watch Baby Back Maniac on YouTube? I like his videos, because I really think he's genuine. Anyone else watch his stuff?

Does anyone else here watch Baby Back Maniac on YouTube? I like his videos, because I really think he's genuine. Anyone else watch his stuff?

I have.

At first, I thought be was just another face in the crowd, but I've warmed up to him a bit.

Can't see him in the living room anymore until I get my Roku fixed / replaced. This is the second unit that has given me trouble over the past 16 months. (weak wi-fi issues)

Coffee + weightlifting in the AM is much more effective than coffee alone.

Yeah, coffee & weightlifting ;)
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, coffee & weightlifting ;)

I actually searched a truck stop I stopped at for fresh donuts last week....denied!

I've only been lifting once a week for the last 5 weeks but trying to increase to 2x per week. Better than my once every other month program

Has anyone else had any Wi-Fi issues with Roku (Express+)?

I download a couple of Wi-Fi analyzer programs for Windows 7 (laptop), and my router's signal is very good. All of my wireless products receive strong signals, including my phone, and the Roku used to reflect that, but not anymore. In fact, the device cannot even detect my router any longer.

Has anyone else had any Wi-Fi issues with Roku (Express+)?

I download a couple of Wi-Fi analyzer programs for Windows 7 (laptop), and my router's signal is very good. All of my wireless products receive strong signals, including my phone, and the Roku used to reflect that, but not anymore. In fact, the device cannot even detect my router any longer.

Connect your laptop to the tv & problem solved!

I don't use roku (friends/family do) so I can't help u other than to suggest double-checking all the settings, maybe a default program, & then try google or youtube. I'm sure many here use it so you might get more helpful answers.

Connect your laptop to the tv & problem solved!

I don't use roku (friends/family do) so I can't help u other than to suggest double-checking all the settings, maybe a default program, & then try google or youtube. I'm sure many here use it so you might get more helpful answers.

I've done that a few times, but the Roku remote and channel lineup is hard to beat.

Honestly, after experiencing this issue twice on separate units, I believe the hardware is suspect, and a new unit may not be any better.

There may be some stray radiation causing it. Example, if someone turns on our microwave it knocks out WiFi upstairs but not down. So if you're watching the Roku or using the WIFI on the smart tv it goes dead. I use Roku extensively on 3 TVs with no issues

There may be some stray radiation causing it. Example, if someone turns on our microwave it knocks out WiFi upstairs but not down. So if you're watching the Roku or using the WIFI on the smart tv it goes dead. I use Roku extensively on 3 TVs with no issues

Just before my replacement unit's Wi-Fi began acting up, an overheating (Roku) message popped up in the upper right hand corner of the TV screen. I did some web searching, and found a hidden screen by pressing the home button five times, and then pressing FF, Pause, RW, Pause, FF. The hidden page popped up and said my Roku temps were between 85 and 95 degrees Celsius.

That is very close to the temperature of boiling water.

For what it's worth, I have the unit mounted under the wooden TV shelf in a well ventilated area (just three feet away from the HVAC intake), so I have no idea why the unit overheated. The Express+ is not ventalated, and when I removed the HDMI cable today, the end it it was hot.

A phone call to customer service confirmed that Roku has had a lot of issues regarding faulty Wi-Fi. I really like the simple interface of this product, but the company needs to find another hardware vendor in my opinion.

Last edited:
Just before my replacement unit's Wi-Fi began acting up, an overheating (Roku) message popped up in the upper right hand corner of the TV screen. I did some web searching, and found a hidden screen by pressing the home button five times, and then pressing FF, Pause, RW, Pause, FF. The hidden page popped up and said my Roku temps were between 85 and 95 degrees Celsius.

Thanks for the handy info! We have a Roku 3 & Roku ultra; they do get pretty warm - especially the 3. They've both worked pretty well but I hate the remote for the ultra. Why they designed a remote with a headphone jack (so you don't disturb swmbo sleeping) but at the same time has the NOISIEST buttons (CLICK-CLACK CLICK-CLACK), is beyond me...

I have a Roku with headphone jack remote. What noise are you referring to? I have 3 Roku devices 2 with headphone remotes (which BTW I LOVE) and one without. Not one of them makes a clicking noise unless you turn on the "feedback" noise on the settings but then you would only hear it in the headset. All 3 get very strong WiFi as well, no issues. They do run warm but otherwise no issues except with Xfinity App. Which seems to leave a bunch of data in the memory cache when exiting which sometimes requires a simple restart

There are SMART TVs. We just bought a top of the line Samsung 4K UHD. But, as good as it is many apps either are non existent for it or do not work nearly as well and ROKU. So sadly as much as I was hoping to I cannot eliminate the need of having a Roku plugged into it.

can you use the little USB keypads? It's always hard for me to use the standard remote control to search for movies or youtube when I go to other peoples houses.

I tried the logitech K400 & only a couple things worked on their tv, not as expected.

I got a couple other small keyboards for other devices but haven't had the opportunity to try on their equip yet.

If you have an I Phone or Android you can download the ROKU app and control it that way. An added benefit is you can use your phone/tablet as a standalone smart ROKU TV as well

I have a Roku with headphone jack remote. What noise are you referring to? I have 3 Roku devices 2 with headphone remotes (which BTW I LOVE) and one without. Not one of them makes a clicking noise unless you turn on the "feedback" noise on the settings but then you would only hear it in the headset. All 3 get very strong WiFi as well, no issues. They do run warm but otherwise no issues except with Xfinity App. Which seems to leave a bunch of data in the memory cache when exiting which sometimes requires a simple restart

It's the remote that came with the Roku Ultra. When you push the buttons, they physically click. When you release the buttons they clack. CLICK CLACK (looking for something on Netflix) CLICK CLACK. I've tried hiding the remote under the pillow, hiding it behind my back - nothing works & I wind-up waking her up.

I have 3 ROKUs and not a single one makes a sound of ANY kind. There is a "feedback" sound you can control in the settings, but no physical sound is produced by a properly functioning ROKU remote.

Back