Random socket set question

Scott Smith

TVWBB Pro
Has anyone ever seen a person (or even better a link to a product or tried it themselves) that combines similar SAE and metric sockets in the same section of a case or organizer, based on their actual physical dimensions? It seems to me that some people work in a mix of SAE and metric and don't necessarily know or care what size socket they are grabbing, or if it is SAE or metric, so long as it fits the nut/bolt and gets the job done. Sometimes, if a nut is damaged a bit, a larger socket might do the trick, even if is not from the right system.

I actually did this with my nut drivers. I calculated out the decimal dimensions of each one, and arranged them in a rack in order of size. It works out well for me.
With the nut drivers, I'm usually taking apart some small random thing and I never know if something is standard or metric, so I can go up and down the row until I find the best fitting one.

I made my metric and fractional handles point in opposite directions. Usually they interlace neatly, but not in every case.

Another point worth mentioning is that, to varying degrees of precision, some of the metric sockets have standard equivalents.

The only reason I asked is because I've known a lot of people who thought this way. They were all engineers that were a lot smarter than me but we would come together and make some fantastic brews(from my homebrew club days in Davis CA)

People whose mind works that way I seem to be drawn to because mine does not. But to answer your question, no, I don't organize that way, but keep it in mind at times. I've been an auto mechanic for 24 years and it still comes into play especially when heads get rounded off

I'm not an Engineer (though I am a Sales Rep and communicate largely with them) nor a music teacher (I cannot even play a radio) and I cannot even say I'm a home brewer (but I will happily drink a home brew), yet I can tell you that to every extent possible I perform my own repairs at home and I agree that your approach of combining SAE and metric sockets makes perfect sense to my feeble mind, though I have not done so myself. Most--but not all--of my home repairs utilize metric threads and the exceptions are not spelled-out.

Usually with a car you know to reach for metric or standard so it makes sense to keep them separated. I think I'm envisioning some kind of field service person that works on different stuff every day, or perhaps a weekend warrior that doesn't understand standard vs. metric but just wants something to fit.

It's way more fun to spend five minutes alternating between the metric and SAE sockets in my set to finally find one that works. Yes, there are some that are close enough to be interchangeable. I cannot tell you which ones, but my friend who is a mechanical engineer can easily. I just don't have room in my brain for that. We do make a pretty good team when we work on something together because our slightly different ways of approaching a problem complement each other's skills.

Has anyone ever seen a person (or even better a link to a product or tried it themselves) that combines similar SAE and metric sockets in the same section of a case or organizer, based on their actual physical dimensions? It seems to me that some people work in a mix of SAE and metric and don't necessarily know or care what size socket they are grabbing, or if it is SAE or metric, so long as it fits the nut/bolt and gets the job done. Sometimes, if a nut is damaged a bit, a larger socket might do the trick, even if is not from the right system.

I actually did this with my nut drivers. I calculated out the decimal dimensions of each one, and arranged them in a rack in order of size. It works out well for me.
With the nut drivers, I'm usually taking apart some small random thing and I never know if something is standard or metric, so I can go up and down the row until I find the best fitting one.

I made my metric and fractional handles point in opposite directions. Usually they interlace neatly, but not in every case.

Another point worth mentioning is that, to varying degrees of precision, some of the metric sockets have standard equivalents.

When I was turning wrenches more I knew the conversions in my head.

8mm no SAE equiv, and when you break that one 8mm you are F'd

or grind down the 8mm nut to fit a 5/16 socket.

11mm 7/16 close enough

12mm again nothing fits.

13/mm 1/2 close enough

14mm and 9/16 almost work interchangeably

15mm, 16mm nothing fit.

17mm and 3/4 were a close match

anything larger I'd just buy the damn 36mm socket to get the axle nut off.

When I was turning wrenches more I knew the conversions in my head.

8mm no SAE equiv, and when you break that one 8mm you are F'd

or grind down the 8mm nut to fit a 5/16 socket.

11mm 7/16 close enough

12mm again nothing fits.

13/mm 1/2 close enough

14mm and 9/16 almost work interchangeably

15mm, 16mm nothing fit.

17mm and 3/4 were a close match

anything larger I'd just buy the damn 36mm socket to get the axle nut off.
Dan, I'm impressed. That's the kind of information I would never bother to process. I'm not sure what it means in the big picture, but I like you anyway so it doesn't matter. 😀

Dan, I'm impressed. That's the kind of information I would never bother to process. I'm not sure what it means in the big picture, but I like you anyway so it doesn't matter. 😀
I grew up with V8s from Detroit. when gas prices went above 41 cents for 100 octane I couldn't afford gas in a 10.5:1 compression V8 so I bought a used 73 mercury Capri with a V6 that got about 22 MPG on regular.

I didn't know what metric was until I had to work on it. I quickly learned 8mm and 10mm were the most common hex bolts and the rest I could make due with.

30 years later I bought a Jeep TJ and half the damn thing was metric.

I swear I have metric sockets and wrenches that are 30+ years old that have never been used, and I've broken more 8mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets that I can remember.

Oh, and why the heck does a chebby tahoe have 22MM wheel lugs. so much for made in USA :mad:
I was always a big "buy American" car guy and still only own American brands. I have to say that foreign car companies are just as American as any else due to where components are sourced and of course where final assembly takes place. I will not go so far as to say foreign brands are better however.

I was always a big "buy American" car guy and still only own American brands. I have to say that foreign car companies are just as American as any else due to where components are sourced and of course where final assembly takes place. I will not go so far as to say foreign brands are better however.
My 2003 Tahoe had a made in Michigan sticker on the door jamb and was half metric half SAE

I grew up with V8s from Detroit. when gas prices went above 41 cents for 100 octane I couldn't afford gas in a 10.5:1 compression V8 so I bought a used 73 mercury Capri with a V6 that got about 22 MPG on regular.

I didn't know what metric was until I had to work on it. I quickly learned 8mm and 10mm were the most common hex bolts and the rest I could make due with.

30 years later I bought a Jeep TJ and half the damn thing was metric.

I swear I have metric sockets and wrenches that are 30+ years old that have never been used, and I've broken more 8mm, 10mm and 12mm sockets that I can remember.
A 73 Mercury Capri was a European Ford that was sent back to the US so it makes sense that it was all metric.

I can do conversions in my head as I work with metric & SAE in my job. The same for thread identification.

19mm is the closest match for 3/4". ;)
Ironically Tony, our country adopted your system of measuring and them your country decided to change it. I remember studying the metric system in the 70's in anticipation of changing over as well. It only half way happened.

Back