Ramen Umami

Bill Schultz

TVWBB Hall of Fame
So one of our all time favorite meals is Traditional Ramen and what better day than Hump Day is there to make the CEO smile. Here is how it went.

Two months ago I made a giant pot of really good Traditional Ramen Broth. Froze individual bags to use when the mood hit.

Defrosted the Broth and put it on the stove to simmer, added these two jewels of the spice and oil world to it along with four or five mushrooms. Diced garlic and diced fresh ginger. Salt and fresh ground also.

DSC00634_zpslgdi4xx1.jpg

DSC00640_zpsgkykpw67.jpg

DSC00637_zpsxdkmb0rx.jpg

Yesterday I made the traditional marinated soft boiled eggs, simmered slowly for 5.5 minutes, peeled and into the marinade which is Soy Sauce Mirin and a couple of tablespoons of sugar. Cover with a napkin and it will marinate the whole egg. Into the fridge.

DSC00621_zpsupswovzi.jpg

While the Broth is simmering I coated a small rib end Pork Loin Roast with Spicy Szechuan Five Spice seasoning, browned it in the CI and then on the Genny at 350. Here she is done and sliced.

DSC00636_zpsiu1hufwm.jpg

DSC00639_zpsfplszzk9.jpg

Some real good Ramen from the Asian Market, on the boil

DSC00642_zpspo7od9iv.jpg

DSC00645_zpsm4x2v4jv.jpg

Tonight's accompaniment, Japans Best

DSC00643_zpszolvgdyj.jpg

Slice some Radish real thin, a couple of scallions and a small handful of Bean Sprouts along with a couple of slices of the Pork Roast. Then you have Heaven in a bowl

DSC00646_zpsbdp04zhr.jpg

Yummy! I really like ramen but never made it.

So, this is what I need: list of all ingrediance and a step by step on how to prepare this delicious dish.:rolleyes:

Fantastic, everything looks spot on. Global knife, bamboo cutting board, authentic ingredients, and beautiful photos. Love the small cups, too. Are they for tea or sake?

Thanks for sharing!

That is one fantastic cook Bill, I'd take that any time and I'm sure the CEO enjoyed it.

I always look forward to your threads Bill and again I am astonished at the presentation and the great photos, you are a master chef for sure!

Back